G.SKill or MB manufacturer testing; F4-3200C14D-16GVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKill or MB manufacturer testing; F4-3200C14D-16GVR

Who does the compatibility testing? Both G.Skill and, for example, ASRock show memory to MB and MB to memory compatibility charts. Who is responsible for the testing; both, MB, DIMM maker? I have this set F4-3200C14D-16GVR. I bought them, stupidly, because they were the best priced 3200 CL14 memory for the price. That apparently was a big mistake; well a small mistake. I've moved half my memory (2 of 4 8GB) into a Ryzen system. Of course, like my ASRock Extreme7+, this memory is not on the list of compatibility for either. G.Skill only lists two Z170 boards but lots of Z270 boards from ASRock. Now, I think my memory might finally be working on the Extreme7+ (Z170) board after a December 2016 BIOS patch, though it's still not mentioned on the compatibility list, but the periodic blue screens no longer happen when memory is set to 3200 in the XMP setup in BIOS. The Ryzen board, XMPs to 2667, which is good, but I would love to see it at 2993 or 3200; i.e. its rated. Ryzen is memory speed sensitive for performance, so this is a big issue for a system. Just curious as to whom should I be looking for compatibility testing responsibility.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Follow G.Skill QVL. Each company does their own independent testing, but G.Skill is most accurate as far as easy XMP set up and compatibility. Motherboard QVL may have a larger list, but many combinations require additional tweaking, and for most users they prefer not to do that, so it is imperative to follow the G.Skill QVL.

Some AMD Ryzen motherboards can already support 3200, you just need to pick the right one. For example if you look up ASUS CVI, it does display 3200 C14.

Comment

I chose to wait and was a good idea.. here they come in EU also Flare x and Fortis.
      I was thinking to spend few on the fortis 2400 .. but i am scared that CPu will work too much I would like to take something that lasts longer.

I saw that 3200 Flare x are not native 3200. it's OC stuff.
      So... why that price? I think that are the GO to RAMS... but...how much more for them to be compatible with ASUS prime x370 pro?

Cas 14 is fantastic latiency with 3200 .. not bad at all.

Spending 350 on a Motherboard is not possible sorry.
      If it doesn't make a coffee and tea with honey inside I can't buy it.

So in 30 days Should I have a clue? Next buy is for me end of april. Not going to move a finger earlier.

GPU is going to be bought in june as new items will come out..

Not gonna use double video card but I feel the mobo that allow it are more then slitghtly better. and are worth being chosen in place of the b 350...

Regarding the RAms ... 3200 mhz isn't it worth to spend 180 on them? Isn't with a 1700 Ryzen the performance going to improve a lot from a 2400 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kindwoman View Post
        I saw that 3200 Flare x are not native 3200. it's OC stuff.
        They are factory tested at that speed and have those settings programmed in their extended profile. It's the same with any other DDR4-3200 kit out there.

Running them at their rated specs is not what i would call overclocking on the memory side of things (for the CPUs memory controller thats a different story).
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Limited warranty lifetime what does it mean? They will be working maybe once used at 3200 1 \ 2 year and then one gets burned?

Just to make sure.. I wanna run RAM for 3200 freq. but I am not like a professional OCker or a pro gamer I just wanna have a good frame rate and have it for at least 5 years and then start to upgrade my computer as I never did... and instead should be done (not waiting 10 years.. LOL).

Will I be able to do that with 3200 flare x or should i go for a 2400 and get like 10 20 fps less more stability more durability.. so should i opt for the Cas 15 Fortis maybe? Is that going to "run" faster maybe in next months with more tweaks.

WE often seem to forget that no game (just software rendering or lot of multitaksing) uses that memory ... so actually all this "IMPORTANCE" over this is just not really important... I am asking that for a PRICE\performance\durability point of view which is instead important (again).

After all also Flare X here goes really compatible with EVERY thing ... so... there is actually no problem ... http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gfx
          Rx 480 and that's it... (but in june new GPU will come with vega 10 so prices should move at that moment) so maybe better to wait for the GPU investment...
          Last edited by Kindwoman; 03-25-2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Limited lifetime warranty means if you damage the RAM in any way, or if you remove the warranty sticker, you will lose the manufacturer warranty. In other words, the RAM should look exactly like when you purchased it, with some dust.

Price scales with performance, not everyone needs/cares for performance or want to pay more for it, so get what you are comfortable with. Won't notice a difference if you don't have it or have anything to compare.

Comment

Working...
            X