Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about what DDR4 SO-DIMM set to purchase for laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about what DDR4 SO-DIMM set to purchase for laptop...

I have an ASUS ROG G752VT laptop and I'm thinking about buying a G.SKILL 64GB DDR4 SO-DIMM kit for it. I see that the F4-2133C15Q-64GRS kit has auto-overclocking, and, apparently the F4-2800C18Q-64GRS either doesn't have auto-overclocking or it's done via Intel XMP. I was wondering which kit would be the best choice for my laptop. As far as I know, there is no way to adjust the memory settings in my ASUS laptop's BIOS, and no option to load an XMP profile. So, I guess the question is : Will the F4-2800C18Q-64GRS kit be any faster than the F4-2133C15Q-64GRS kit, without any option in my BIOS to load an Intel XMP profile?

Thanks,

jdb2

It will run as fast as the CPU and BIOS is designed.

All profiles are embedded so it will select the best one it is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      It will run as fast as the CPU and BIOS is designed.

All profiles are embedded so it will select the best one it is capable of.

OK, but the product page for the F4-2133C15Q-64GRS kit indicates that it has "auto-overclocking" whereas the F4-2800C18Q-64GRS kit only mentions an Intel XMP profile. Are you indicating that for the F4-2800C18Q-64GRS kit, my laptop will automatically load the fastest XMP profile that is compatible? If so, I've never heard of this, not on ASUS's site, not on their support page, not in the manual, not visible in the BIOS and not in the forums.

Frankly, I don't know what "It will run as fast as the CPU and BIOS is designed." means -- it's too vague - does the BIOS auto-select an Intel XMP profile based on SPD data returned by the RAM?. Also "All profiles are embedded so it will select the best one it is capable of.", do you mean that laptops, such as mine, have a hidden XMP auto-loading feature? Can you point me out to any source that can confirm this?

Thanks,

jdb2

Comment

I don't know what the laptop is capable of other than the basic specifications ASUS mentions. You need to ask them to know exactly what it is capable of. We don't have the laptop, so we can not conduct our own tests to determine.

There is nothing hidden, you can find all RAM values with a free program like CPUz.

Comment

Working...
        X