X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5QC Bios issue with 11/2020 produced G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Regards from Greece, I am Kiriakos.

I own my ASUS P5QC for about ten years.

My PC serves mainly productivity and a bit of gaming.

This December I did a major upgrade by adding an SSD drive as game storage and I also got G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT as upgrade to 8GB of ram.
    Previously I was using KHX1600C8D3T1K2 4GX (4GB KIT without any problems at all)

I am using and setup computers in the past 25 years.
    Additionally I am fully aware of ASUS P5QC technical requirements about the use of DDR3, which is the use of low density DDR3 along with the limit as maximum of 4GB per slot.

Prior writing this topic I did extensive read of older posts, and therefore I have only fresh information’s to share and or them be investigated.

My G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT (2x4GB Kit) this is production of 20 November 2020, and works well with my current CPU Q6600 at Strap-266MHz at lowest latency set by SPD.
    Now I have ordered a Q9650 (CPU native Strap-333MHz), this will force the ram to run at named DDR3 1333 rated FSB.

I thought to pretest F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT at 1333 rated FSB prior switching to latest CPU (Q9650 still on shipping).
    Over the years many people reported boot issues with P5QC and even G.SKILL low density DDR3, and for this reason I did extended testing too so to find the why?

At my test I did force Strap 333 along FSB at 333 instead of 266 (this will temporarily OC the CPU at 3GHz), then I did manually set F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT timings according to SPD and boot failed.
    After investigation I did discover that at BIOS - DDR3: 1-st information, that CAS# latency 9 & 10 values these cause failure to boot and only by setting CAS to 11 this it does work.

BIOS - DDR3 1-st information this has 8 parameters, my working set this is now:
    11-9-9-24-4-110-10-6

My find is that with specific G-SKILL KIT, only first parameter of eight this is significant and causes boot to fail.
    Currently working first parameter at my P5QC this is CAS latencies’ of 7 or 8 or 11.
    Other seven parameters are less significant regarding boot failure.
    For example at sixth parameter the SPD mention 107 and BIOS does not have exact manual value and therefore I did use the closer larger one that is 110.

In summary:
    ASUS P5QC – BIOS 2103 - CPU Q6600 – Strap 333 – Memory Voltage 1.56V along latest made F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT, this FAIL to boot at manual setting of CAS# 9 and 10 values at rated FSB 1333.
    And it works exclusively at CAS# 7, 8 and 11.
    At CAS 11 the system is rock stable (six hours of gaming at BF5), CPU Q6600 this is tested part and can be OCed up to 3.5GHz, but Overclocking this is not currently in my primary focus.
    Current working set at 1333 Rated FSB 11-9-9-24-4-110-10-6

Such DDR3 RAM KIT behavior this is not acceptable, but this is not my final verdict, because I have not tested yet the Q9650 with Auto timing settings so to see with my eyes of what will happen?

At this screenshot at the right side there is G.SKILL SPD information.

Comment

I have few more details to add.
      This time I did use Auto as Dram Timing control, and suddenly the motherboard accepted and loaded SPD values for 1333 Rated FSB and booted right away.
      Naturally I do not care that it did boot, because the specific case study this is about finding of what is the configuration issue?

Is ASUS to blame ? Because when all defaults timing values were loaded automatically, then the motherboard it did accepted the same settings as manual selection too, and it did boot again.
      The system were retested and G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT that I own this is healthy and good working product.

BIOS - DDR3 1-st information this has 8 parameters, my working set this is now:
      (leave this to auto) = 78 (ASUS Bios does not include 78 at selection list) but the software SPD reader this reported 107?

I am now attaching screenshot of
      G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT timing as this is detected by P5QC Bios.
      The only question that I still have, this is about percentage of FSB increase that this memory can withstand with out further adjustment of timings.
      Hynix modules datasheet, this inform about higher standard voltage of 1.565V , the motherboard has setting of 1.57V and this is now selected too.

INTEL Back in time, when they did produce Q9650 3GHz CPU, they did use the same die and they manufacture also a Xeon at 3.33GHz.
      This translates at the speculation, that when Q9650 this is clocked up to 3.33G this is a safe operational step-up, but the FSB this will be now 370 MHz.
      Will this memory make it so to work there?
      Last edited by Kiriakos-GR; 05-15-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

It is up to you to test and see what the combination can do and what performs best. If FSB is stable, you can try DDR3-1480 9-9-9-924 1.60V or DDR3-1333, just depends on target and whether it can be stable.

RAM itself can be 1.65V and even higher so you have plenty of headroom to play around with to see what can work then test to see which settings perform best.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          It is up to you to test and see what the combination can do and what performs best. If FSB is stable, you can try DDR3-1480 9-9-9-924 1.60V or DDR3-1333, just depends on target and whether it can be stable.

RAM itself can be 1.65V and even higher so you have plenty of headroom to play around with to see what can work then test to see which settings perform best.
          Hi GSKILL TECH,

I did some preliminary testing of how this New KIT behaves with Q6600 this oced at 333FSB.
          Memory Voltage at 1.56V (1.57V) for just to be at the safe side about this experiment, and the RAM did made it to operate at default timings up to 350FSB and failure point started at 355MHz .

I have read carefully some of your offered comments at older thread’s, relative to INTEL CPU die differences 266 VS 333 (relative to chipset timing too).
          And I am interested to confirm them.

Just for the history, I own this Q6600 SLARC for nine years and along with Prolimatech Armageddon Dual Fan CPU cooler.
          Even with DDR3-1600 (XMP + 1.6V) I did not enjoy 100% of stable operation at 9x400 = 3.6GHz and stepped back to default CPU clocks.

I am no Kid and I am looking for the Golden line of balance, so the system to not suffer from Operating system corruption.
          I am currently using specific web design software along Norton Ghost 15 and both are sensitive as software, in case that the hardware this is operating above of what it can safely handle.

My Q9650 this is now in Greece, but there is some delay about the delivery schedule, Greek postal service under internal reshaping regarding workers and structure.

Therefore it will be my pleasure to deliver, final feedback of how well the latest produced specific RAM KIT this can perform in the hands of an expert.

Comment

I am writing now as confirmation, that after installation of Q9650, my motherboard booted right away without the slightest delay.

G.SKILL SPD for 1333 was automatically adjusted, and entire system did a sweet boot and loaded the operating system.

In my surprise, Win 7 operating system informed me of finding new hardware (the Q9650), and that I should now reboot. LOL

Operating G.SKILL up to 350MHz this is possible without any SPD tweaks, as I did mentioned and before, I have set memory voltage to 1.55V and this is not a tweak.

With Q9650 at default core voltage and this be clocked at 3.150MHz, with memory SPD defaults, I did four hours gaming session as test, system appears rock solid.

Now that I have 100% of confidence that both CPU and RAM, that they are good working parts, at next weekend, I will try to discover if 3.3GHz this is possible too.

Additionally, now that I have my own positive experiences with latest batch of G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT and ASUS P5QC, I am thinking any older references in the form of problem report by other users in the past, as outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

Success at 370 with 1.6V, but stable gaming was not possible until added correction to 1.62V .
              The system did two hours of problem free gaming.
              For ultimate confidence, I did raise voltage to 1.64V. (ASUS P5QC memory voltage steps scaling 1.60, 1.62, 1.64, 1.66V, ++ 2.1V).

I am extremely happy with the results so far!
              Attached Files

Comment

We are few days before the NEW Year 2022, my old motherboard ASUS P5QC, this developed some sort of power circuit electronic component leakage, and it can now operate only at default CPU settings and almost stable at gaming.

My new question has to do about memory modules alone, and their compatibility with step-up platform Z87 and Z97 chip-set.
                Such motherboards does not mention at Memory Support List the G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT.
                I am thinking for upgrade to i7 4 GEN and to reuse Gskill DDR3 (2x4GB) along with an identical in specifications KIT (2x2GB) so to have 12GB 1333 DDR3 in total.

What are my chances about success?

Comment

No problem, that memory kit should work in most DDR3 systems.

Comment

Good to know.
                    Thanks !!

Comment

Working...
                    X