Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10D-8GZH + ASUS A88X-PRO + AMD A10-7850K Kaveri

I bought:
    Asus memory compat chart recommended F3-2400C10D-8GTX(XMP). I bought F3-2400C10D-8GZH by mistake. I am having the following problem - is the model number causing it?

FIRST QUESTION
    ---------------
    Should F3-2400C10D-8GZH run ok in the ASUS A88X-PRO?
    ----
    PROBLEM

Step one:
    Bios shows running at 1333 and mem slot speed at 1333. Is this the way it should show up?

Initial memory configuration of 2 stick kit using asus recommended slots a2 and b2.

Each slot showed in bios at 1333, 4 gig per slot (8 gb total) but bios total showed only 4 gb.

Windows recognized only 4 gig

Step two:
    Removed b2 slot (stick 2). Used only stick 1 in a2 slot - Bios recognized correct 4 gb in slot and in total at 1333. (Widows recognized 4 gb)

Upped clocking, bios home pages shows running at 1333 but mem freq on advanced shows 2133, It is stable when clocking at 2133 but will not boot at 2400

Step three:

Used stick 2 in a2. System will not boot. Asus MemOK! test button showed the memory failed.

QUESTION TWO ---------------
    What speed should bios show for this memory

FINAL QUESTION ---------------
    Do you recommend 2400 mem for this Mobo / chip - if not what max speed to you recommend

Enable the memories embedded performance profile (XMP). The ASUS A88X Pro should have an option for it, even though XMP is Intel Tech. It is probably called D.O.C.P. Then chose profile #1 / #2 and check if memory timings and voltage is adjusted to values specified by G.SKILL.

Your user manual should help you with that, if you're unsure about certain settings.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

For DDR3-2400, try boosting CPU-NB Voltage. Manually set the value to see if you can stabilize the system. Once you input the proper settings, the computer should be very fast and smooth.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Dual-rank

Hi.

I'd like to know if both memories (F3-2400C10D-8GTX and F3-2400C10D-8GZH) are dual-ranked, since I want to pair them with an A10-7700K, and I know dual-ranked memories perform better with Kaveri.

I've already own a pair of F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL from my previous Llano build, and they perform very well (they are dual-ranked), but I need 8GB now, and DDR3-2400 would be nice.

And what is Tridents height without the top heatsink? My Ripjaws X are 40mm and they barely fit below my cooler, so that's the limit. The Ripjaws Z are the same height, aren't they?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by TinoArg View Post
          I'd like to know if both memories (F3-2400C10D-8GTX and F3-2400C10D-8GZH) are dual-ranked, since I want to pair them with an A10-7700K, and I know dual-ranked memories perform better with Kaveri.
          There are probably single and dual ranked pieces of those kits out there. So you would have to buy in a local store to be sure to get a dual ranked kit. If that is not an option, the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD is always be dual ranked from my personal experience.

And what is Tridents height without the top heatsink?
          About 39mm if i remember correctly.

Comment

They are mostly dual, especially the current stock on like NewEgg.com, they are dual rank and the best DDR3 modules on the market.

Trident X without heat spreader is well shorter than RipJaws Z and Z, which are 40mm tall, so you'll be fine.

Comment

Thank you both for the answers!

And is there any way to know if they are single or dual ranked without testing them? Are this related to single and dual side chips?

Comment

Single Rank and single sided is not exactly the same thing. There could be dual sided single rank memories. But in reality for 4GB DDR3 modules it does go hand in hand more often than not. So it is a is a legitimate simplification that single sided 4gb modules mostly are 1Rx8 using 4gbit ICs and dual sided 4gb modules are 2Rx8 using 2gbit ICs (at least nowadays, again YMMV).

Comment

Well, thanks for your help. But I couldn't check that before because I bought them by an internet store and they couldn't check that for me...

They turned out to be single side and single rank, and they are slower than my older 2133 kit

I need to reach 2520MHz to get the same results in 3DMark and games, than the old ones at 2133 (dual side and dual rank), with almost the same latencies.

This seems to be very important for Kaveri, maybe is not for others platforms.

I'm very dissapointed, I will try to change them for other brand or model, but I can't be 100% sure before buying.

Comment

They turned out to be single side and single rank...
                    Thought so, then i'd probably also return them.

From my experience most other manufacturers 2x4GB kits are single rank nowadays as well, even the AMD Radeon R9 ones (if though they are supposed to be "optimal" for kaveri setups).

The safest way to get around this is buying one of the magical 2x4GB kits, like the one i mentioned in #5 or going straight for 2x8GB.

Comment

Working...
                    X