Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with configuring current ram and recommend upgrade for AMD board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with configuring current ram and recommend upgrade for AMD board.

Hi.. haven't posted here in a while,

about 2 years ago I bought 4GB PIS PC16000CL9 (2000Mhz @ 9-9-9-24)

and after a few weeks and some help from tech staff here I got it to run on my AMD board at the advertised speed and timings.

The tech told me that AMD boards don't like running anything over 1600 speed, but with patience and some tweaking I could get the ram stable on my board with the 2000Mhz speed at CL9 Latency.

I bumped up the dram voltage to 1.7 volts and bumped my cpu/nb up to 1.3, and my nb to 1.22. My cpu nb frequency went to 2800.

everything went fine for about a year, until one day I got a BSOD that was something like " one of your clocks failed to receive data in a required cycle time " that wasn't the exact message but you get what the error was.

when I reboot it said " Oveclocking Failed! Press F1 to enter bios setup "

Ever since that day, I can't get my ram anywhere close to those timings or that speed.

Best I can do is 1300Mhz @8-8-8-24

But performance wise this is nowhere near how fast it was before @ 2000Mhz 9-9-9-24.

I'd send the ram back because I know with almost certainty that it has gone bad, but I have no other ram to replace it, and i'm considering upgrading anyway.

My goal is to buy 2 x 4GB of ram that is optimized for AMD boards so I can play with the settings and get low timings out of it. I was thinking of maybe going with 1600Mhz with 7 or below latency. Then eventually I would get another 2 x 4GB of the same memory for a total of 16GB. I realize that 4 channels of ram doesn't overclock as nicely as as 2, but I need the extra memory.

Recommendations on how to get the best settings for my current PIS ram? And recommendations on the best compatible ram for AMD boards that will allow me to tweak timings to have low latency (something other than ripjaws, as I consider that brand to be lower-end from G.Skill).

Thanks in Advance

sorry, edit:

My board is Asus M4A89TD-PRO
    CPU is AMD 1090T (overclocked at 4.01Ghz)
    bios is latest for the board.

Comment

Try this first for your PIS:

CPU Host Frequency 233 for DDR3-1866. That CPU can only support DDR3-1600 max, so overclock settings are necessary for DDR3-1866.

Note, this will also overclock your CPU Frequency, so you should lower the CPU Ratio if this is not desired.

CPU-NB Frequency should be 2800MHz, or 12X (233 * 12 = ~2800).

Then set DRAM Timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24

DRAM Voltage 1.65V

Lastly, CPU-NB Voltage 1.20V-1.25V. This will help the CPU fully support DDR3-1866

Save, exit, let me know how that goes.

For new memory, chips are very limited. Right now, only RipJaws is available in good spec. Here is our high performance 8GB kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231435

You can lower timings and frequency to achieve very good results.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

just a few concerns/queries regarding your reply - and Thanks btw!

CPU Host Frequency 233 for DDR3-1866. That CPU can only support DDR3-1600 max, so overclock settings are necessary for DDR3-1866.
        what do you mean the 1090t can only support DDR3-1600?

also when I set my cpu bus speed at 233, the target frequency was only I believe 1600?
        I had to set cpu bus speed to 280 in order to achieve a target memory frequency of 1867.

When I changed from [manual] overclock to [D.O.C.P] I put in target frequency of 1866 Mhz (one of the 5 only possible selections from the menu) and it changed my bus speed down to 233.. i'm puzzled.. Why do I have to set my FSB to 280 to achieve that target freq when doing it manually, and D.O.C.P displays it as 233 when set to that method of OC'ing.

For new memory, chips are very limited. Right now, only RipJaws is available in good spec. Here is our high performance 8GB kit:
        This is a 2133Mhz Kit! That is wayyyy to fast for my amd based board to handle. My board can only handle maximum of DDR3-2000Mhz and that's only a short QVL which G.skill isn't even on.

And when i did try your settings, I got into windows np. I am running memtest now to see if I got any errors.

I did however noticed that setting my memory to 1867, it screwed up my cpu overclock. Now it has to be either 3920 Mhz, or 4080 Mhz! (using multi of 14 -14.5)

Can you suggest a better setup for the PIS ram at a lower speed of 1600 Mhz? That way I could change the ratio between my multi and FSB and get a cpu overclock just over 4Ghz but not as high as 4080Mhz.

In the end I would rather have a slightly higher OC on my cpu, then on my RAM, because the performance in games would be more noticable on the CPU end for speed.

Thx for your reply and hope to hear another suggestion for memory settings at 1600, and what ram to buy for my asus board that will not exceed my boards limitations of 2000Mhz

Comment

When you set the DRAM Frequency to the max memory multiplier, it is DDR3-1600.

CPU Host Frequency 200 * max memory multiplier 8 = DDR3-1600

So anything above DDR3-1600, you must raise the CPU Host Frequency. aka overclocking the FSB or CPU bus frequency.

You may have been looking at the wrong place.. with default settings, you can set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600 (max). Then if you go back to set CPU bus frequency to 233, then it will automatically change to ~DDR3-1864

You said 1867, so you were probably using the DDR3-1333 multiplier. 280 * 6.66 You need to set the DRAM Frequency to the highest 8 multiplier.

Regarding CPU frequency, like I said, it would be overclocked when you raise CPU bus frequency, so if you do not want that, just lower the CPU Ratio (multiplier) to your desired overall CPU frequency.

14.5X is fine, 233 x 14.5 = 3.379GHz Right now you're at 280, so of course it's super high.

You just need to input the settings properly and everything will pan out.

Just because the memory is DDR3-2133 does not mean you must operate it at that. I suggested the DDR3-2133 kit because you can run it at DDR3-1866 or DDR3-1600 with very low timings. (that's what you asked for).

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X