• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RipJaws 16000CL9T -12GBRM overclocking

My system specs are:
    Gigabyte G1 Assassin MOBO
    INTEL i7 980X CPU
    24GB RAM ( 2 x RipJaws 16000CL9T -12GBRM kits)
    2 x EVGA GTX580 SC video cards in SLI mode
    Thortech Thunderbolt 1200watt PSU

At the moment I am running the system as stock but want to overclock the CPU and RAM on the system and my questions are:

1. What are the recommended settings for overclocking these RAM modules?
    2. As I have two x 12GB kits as opposed to a single kit, will this affect how the RAM is overclocked?

Simular situation

Gigabyte G1.Assassin Intel X58 LGA1366
    Intel Core i7-970 3.2Ghz 12M
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    ULTRA X4 1200W
    I am running 3 sets of 2 by 4s G.SKILL Sniper Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBSR . @ the time budget did not allow for a 700$ kit as much as i wanted it.
    As far as i know 1 kit would give you Matched Sticks, that would allow you to OC better. My G1.***)) has been running perfectly on stock numbers, i had few times when it would drop it down to lower setting, but i don't think it had anything to do with memory.
    I have not changed memory voltage setting yet, since i never had done it prior, mostly changing proc settings and allowing mobo to adjust the rest.

Another question - what do you get for win experience score? i am planning on selling this PC in the future and would like to get to the perfect score on it.
    Roman

Comment

Decibel,

1. Here is a rough idea of what BIOS should look like:

In MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker):

CPU Clock Ratio - 24x for 2.8GHz
      QPI Link Speed - AUTO
      Base Clock Control - Enabled
      BCLK Frequency - 143
      Performance Enhance - Standard
      Extreme Memory Profile - Disabled
      System Memory Multiplier - 14

Uncore & QPI Features
      Uncore Frequency - 4000 (roughly)

DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual

CAS Latency Time - 9
      tRCD - 10
      tRP - 9
      tRAS - 28

Enter these for the other three as well.

Channel A Timing Settings

Advanced Timings
      Command Rate - 2

Advanced Voltage Control
      Load-Line Calibration - Disabled
      QPI/VTT Voltage - (This is the memory controller voltage, you will need to test to see what your CPU wants at the specific frequency) [This is where most X58 overclockers have a problem because trial and error testing is involved]

DRAM Voltage - 1.640V
      Rest to AUTO

2. Hopefully they can match well together, sometimes two seperate kits may not even work together. Make sure each kit is installed in the same colored slots.

rstolbov,

You can get a perfect score with this platform, you just need to overclock the memory. With the specifications of Decibel's memory, you should be able to achieve a full 7.9 WEI without a problem.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

dear gskill tech

My gskill is sniper series with 7-8-7-24 numbers,
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2800CL7D-8GBSR
        should i adjust the DRAM Timing Selectable setting to my numbers ? what else should i change ?
        also, as much as i like the Gun styled shell, which matches the gun styled G1.assassin ))) does it do anything to cool the sticks off or is it mostly decorative ? newegg has those memory heatsinks and nice gskill fan to go over it. it would be pretty cheap/easy investment ? suggestions ?
        Thank you
        Roman

Comment

Yes, you must adjust the DRAM Timings, always.

You also need to make sure DRAM Frequency and Voltage is set properly. Other than that, you should be ready to go.

The heatsinks do help evenly spread the heat, but these modules are low voltage, so it is generally not a problem anyway.

You should have gotten one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=gskill+24gb

Especially triple channel motherboards, it is very difficult to match multiple kits.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks alot GSkill Tech for the spedy reply and information.

RSTOLBOV, with my current system running as stock (I forgot to put in my 240GB SSD Force 3 HDD), I get a WEI of:
            HDD 7.9
            Graphiics 7.9
            RAM 7.8
            CPU 7.8

Hopefully, with GSkill Tech's advice I can bump up to the perfect score.

Comment

Well I tried to use the settings provided, but was unable to get the configuration to boot. I was able to get the RAM performance increased slightly by using the extreme settings in my BIOS so now the RAM is displaying 7.9 in WEI. Just the CPU to push up now. It is set to 26x multiplier at the moment.

Comment

Working...
              X