Asus m4n75td + f3-17000cl9d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus m4n75td + f3-17000cl9d

MB: ASUS M4N75TD nForce 750a, BIOS Ver. 1701 (AMI)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.4 GHz
    RAM: F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD

I've been using G.Skill RAM for quite some time now and I've been very pleased with it. This is probably my 4th or 5th pair of various memory modules I've purchased over the years for my personal computers and I've never had any major issues with it.

The problem I'm having right now is configuring the correct BIOS settings for this particular motherboard. I've been using ASUS's AM2+/AM3 nForce 750a based MB's for quite some time as well (I still have M3N72-D & M4N72-E motherboards) so I'm pretty familiar with their general BIOS settings and all the DRAM options.

The M4N75TD has a new setting called D.O.C.P. or DRAM O.C. Profile - it allows you to choose a custom profile based on the SPD of the RAM - When I enable it it correctly identifies the RAM as DDR3-2133 with the correct timings of 9-11-9-28 and voltage of 1.65. However, when I select it, it changes my CPU frequency and multiplier to totally wacky settings and I have to manually set them. I then also have to manually set the DRAM Frequency to 1067.

When I do this, everything seems to be fine, but when I check the speed of the RAM in both CPU-Z and Speccy, it is showing the correct timings but the frequency is coming up at 533.3 MHz, and an odd FSB to DRAM ratio of 3:8. Now I know the AMD-based motherboards & CPUs don't really have a FSB speed in the same sense as an Intel based board does, but it just seemed rather strange. Are the applications just incorrectly reporting the RAM frequency, or do I need to do some further tweaking with the BIOS settings to get the RAM to run at the correct speed? I do have the RAM installed as Single Channel due to the limitations of the AMD memory controller.

Unfortunately when I bought the RAM I thought is was on ASUS's QVL, but it turns out that it's actually either F3-17066CL9D or F3-17600CL9D that is on their list. However I don't think it should take a much tweaking to get it to run at the correct speed if it already isn't.

Thanks much!

scoff

Update: After playing around with the DRAM Frequency setting in the BIOS, I have determined that whatever I manually set it to, CPU-Z and Speccy both show the core DRAM Frequency at half that speed... so if I set it for 1066, it shows as 533.3, if I set it to 1600 MHz (the highest manual setting) it shows up at 800 MHz, so it appears that the setting in the BIOS is the actual DDR speed... since there is no manual setting for anything higher, it looks like I may have to play around with the CPU frequency and multipliers to get it to work, but I haven't seen any suggested settings for the F3-17000 memory on the forum.
    Last edited by scoffman; 07-20-2011, 08:05 PM.

quick learner! Yes, CPU-z shows half because it is the real frequency, not DDR frequency.

AMD CPUs are lmited memory multipliers, so to reach anything above DDR3-1600, you need to raise the Ref clock or CPU Host Frequency.

Default 200, 250 gives you DDR3-2000. (8X max memory multiplier)

In addition to simply increasing the frequency, you also need to make sure your NB Frequency is 3X memory (DRAM) bus frequency. So DDR3-2000 (1000MHz) should have a minimum NB Frequency of 3000MHz. Since NB is going up to support the memory, CPU-NB Voltage also needs to go up to support the higher frequency. Once you find the stable voltage for that, everything should be ready to go.

Of course the timings and DRAM Voltage should already be set.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X