Upgrade from X2 to X4, stable only at 1066

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from X2 to X4, stable only at 1066

So i was using F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2Gx2) (at 1333) with a phenomII X2 545 processor without any instabilities. I've decided to upgrade my processor to a phenomII x4 965 and my memory can't run at 1333 (even if large latencies), only at 1066. So, the problem is the processor or i need do do some adjustments?

Did you use the guide we have available? Do you have the latest BIOS? Test one module at a time to make sure none are defective.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

My MoBo is GA-MA790XT-UDP4, using latest bios F8g. This memories were working with this mobo and previuos (x2) processor. So i only imagine the processor is defective or memories are incompatible.

Comment

The system is stable at 1066, 8-8-8-19-1T. I try to reduce the cas to 7 with no success. At 1333 the system boots up but there is no stability, even with cas 10. At 1600 no work. All setting where made using the suggestions in the site. I've try to overvolt the NB (1.2V) and DDR (1.65) with no succeed. The processor is a black edition and the default voltage com high (1.47). Try to reduce frequency and voltage of processor, even not work. So, at this point or the processor memory controller is defective, or there is a serious incompatibility with my memories. I'm trying to figure out what is going on before RMA the processor.

Comment

Sounds like the CPU is bad if the memory was working fine before.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

maybe its not the ram.

That is interesting assessment about the bad cpu, as I just logged on to update my issue which is very similar to this one, and after a lot of testing I narrowed the problem down to one of my cores may have gone bad. I noticed during Memtest86 that it was always the same core spewing out the errors. So I disabled that core, and so far no more errors in Memtest86. I just did 10 mins with no errors while over-clocked with core 4, and 5 disabled leaving me with a quad core 1090T. Im not sure if that is the only problem, there may still be a issue with the memory, but finding that issue helps. Turning off the two cores would also lessen heat and power consumption, so it could be a voltage issue that is causing the errors, not necessarily a bad core. I havent noticed any voltage issues, but it has always seemed that my cpu required more volts to get the same over-clock that others were getting with the same parts.

Some things are starting to make sense now...

Comment

Murphy?s law!!! Let me explain.
              Yesterday morning i?ve decided to RMA my processor, so i?ve but back my old Phenom II X2 545, and what happens? SYSTEM INSTABILITIES like Phenom II X4. So, i?ve decided to remove the memories and clean it up. I used a contact cleaner in mobo slots and a rubber in memories contacts. Then, they start to work again . So i?ve put back the Phenom II X4 and set the memories in 1333-8-8-8-24-2T. In this set the PC is very stable but in 2hs of memtest i?ve got an error. So i?ve decided to put everything on it?s default (Auto). In this set i?ve got memory configuration 1333-9-9-9-24-1T. With this set the system looks very stable. I?ve run 3h of memotest without errors, and now i?m running OCCT (2hs test, medium set). So i think the problem is solved.
              Just my observation: Phenom II X4 BE memory controller "looks inferior" to Phenom II X2. With PIIX2 i?ve got in Everest read test 8298, but PIIX4 gets only 7913 (Both 1333-9-9-9-24T-1T). Write, Copy and latency are almost equal. So, for now i?ll leave my system in auto but later i?ll make some tweaks to memory. But PIIX4 is very sensitive with cas. Maybe put memory in 1333-9-8-8-24-1T is a future option.
              Last edited by moses_x; 07-21-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

It depends on the Revision/Stepping of the X2 and the X4 965.

C3 stepping has a good IMC (Internal Memory Controller), while the C2 Stepping is weak.
                AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                Corsair HX850W Modular
                Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
                  It depends on the Revision/Stepping of the X2 and the X4 965.

C3 stepping has a good IMC (Internal Memory Controller), while the C2 Stepping is weak.
                  Both are C3 !!!

Comment

Now system stable. Memory @ 1333-9-9-9-24-1T.
                    Memtest - 3h ok
                    OCCT medium set - 2h ok
                    OCCT large set - 1h ok

Comment

Working...
                    X