Need help with two Trident models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with two Trident models?

Hello i need some help please. I am upgrading my system to 4 more GB of RAM. I have an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard and my current RAM is the 4GB Trident 2000mhz F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD model. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231282 Will i have problems with the new F3-16000CL9D-4GBTDD 4GB model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231412 when i add it with the current ram? OR Should i just buy a whole new model of an 8GB Ram thats compatible with my motherboard? Thanks!
    Last edited by zi3m; 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM.

F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD vs. F3-16000CL9T-6GBTDD

I too, would like to know the difference between these kits, so maybe a GSkill person will reply.

These kits will work together. I received the ...TDD kit yesterday from Newegg and added to the ....TD kit for 12GB total.

I put the new kit in primary slots (took out old) and ran memtest 86 v4.10, one pass. Got a large amount of errors. Ran each stick alone, one pass ... no errors. Put all three back in and ran for one pass no errors. My ASUS Rampage III Formula on Bios 0702 did not like the initial switch I believe due to QPI setting being to high. So look at that first along with CPU and PLL voltages. CPU is i7 950.

Once I lowered QPI all was well.
    I did not want to set bios to default and start over.
    All hard drives were disconnected.

Added back in the older ...TD kit in secondary slots.
    Ran MemTest86 V4.20 overnight for 3 passes...no errors.
    I noticed that during this test it reported ram speed as 1760 but bios shows 1697.
    I have them underclocked. It appears that the clock speed was bumped up from 166x...something???
    Last edited by jsfitz54; 06-30-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Yes, you should buy a triple channel 6GB, or 12GB kit for your motherboard. 8GB can work too, but the main point is to buy a full kit. Mixing its generally does not work well for triple channel motherboards as they are very picky.

With new memory (even adding just one stick), completely new settings are needed. The QPI completely changes.

So to simply make sure the modules can work together, we suggest using lower settings like DDR3-1333 CL7, CL8, to confirm they are compatible. This takes voltages and settings out of the equation.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

So explain what is different about ...TDD Kit

To GSkill: Tell us what the difference is between ...TD and ...TDD kits.

Comment

TDD comes with the Turbulence II cooler.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X