F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK and Shuttle SX48P2-Deluxe - NO BOOT, sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK and Shuttle SX48P2-Deluxe - NO BOOT, sorta

Having a maddening problem and I'm out of ideas...

-Shuttle "prima xpc" SX48P2-Deluxe (LGA775)
    -Gskill DDD3 memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10600) F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

Built system Feb 2010. After a couple months, noticed bad stability, esp in web browsers. Tried reinstall, alternate version, no extensions- still browser crashes every 15 minutes. Figured bad Windows install... eventually reinstall, still same issue- browser crashes every 10 minutes.

Ran memtest64, got consistent read/write errors on the same chip on repeated tests in the same range. Files RMA with Gskill and they said they'd replace.

I didn't wanna be without the machine so I went ahead and ordered another 4 gig set (2x2 gig) of the **EXACT SAME** memory--- figured I'd use it while the RMA processed and when it came back install all 4 chips. Ordered EXACT SAME MEMORY from newegg.

New chips arrive, inserting them into system - it will not boot. Does not POST, powers on, drives make little noise, never posts video. Tried each chip (can be run single channel) in each of 4 slots, pairs of the new chips in every config- NOTHING. System will not boot with this memory. Insert either of the old chips or both, system boots. Adding new chips in any config with old chips, no boot.

RMA the new chips back to Newegg (although doubtful both would be bad, but weird **** has happened)-- got NEW set of the SAME MEMORY today. SAME ****. Will not boot if either of new chips are inserted. Old chips still work fine in terms of booting.

Updated BIOS to the newest shuttle offers, hoping maybe something would change. Nope, old chips boot, new chips do NOT WORK.

Configured bios from auto to 8-8-8-21 to match timings on ram decals. Same issue, old chips work fine, new chips never work.

Tested all 4 slots with working chip, machine will boot with either of the 'original' chips in any of the 4 slots, so all 4 slots on the board work fine. I've now had 4 'new' chips that don't work, I find it impossible to believe these are all bad chips.

The decals on the memory show the same info: same model number, memory type, speed and timings. However these new chips keep machine from booting, old chips fire right up. I'm at my wits end. I've built a dozen machines dating back to 1998 and while I don't really have the patience for this anymore, I cannot figure out WTF to try next.

Anyone help? Please??

PS; Searching here for this chip model yields a dozen 'does not boot' issues with no resolutions. But oddly, I have a pair that works fine (or boots at least) and 2 pairs that don't boot.

Try the other models that are 10666, not 10600. They should work better.

F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
    or
    F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
    or

F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I understand there might be other models which might work better with this configuration-- but do you have any thoughts on why these don't work AT ALL when another set seems to boot just fine?

I need to have a reasonable reason to return these for exchange, esp when i bought compatible product--- I'd love any explanation you would have on why 2 of these chips the system boots fine, 4 others it won't.

Comment

Hard to say, but I would have to assume the first kit has chips most compatible and the latter two are least.

Without having the chips in hand to see and test, it is difficult to determine the specific cause.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X