Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Crosshair IV Formula + F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL + 1100T AMD = Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Crosshair IV Formula + F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL + 1100T AMD = Fail?

I built a rig with the above components, installed win7 pro just fine. All was hunky-dory until I started experiencing system hangs and freezing. Windows popped up saying something about possible RAM issues, so I ran the win ram test... all it told me was that I had an error with my ram. I ran memtest86 (in all possible configurations), each and every time it produced 500,000 errors during test 7, unless I stopped it sooner. I searched this forum pretty well and tried manually setting the timings, the bus freq., default settings, etc, to no avail, I always got a never-ending string of errors within test 7.

I tried to single out which ram was bad, or IF one of the 4 modules would actually pass the test, but none did. I began to think the mobo was bad, or both. I don't know anyone with spare ram to test either. Asus motherboard support wasn't any help telling me that my RAM was not compatible with my mobo, and that I needed to reinstall the OS (?). In attempt to solve the issue quickly I submitted an RMA to newegg as defective (the RAM does produce hundreds of thousands of errors...), and I bought the new G.SKILL Low Voltage Set x2.

Questions:
    1) I still would like to determine what the problem is. Mobo, RAM, or both? Ideas?
    2) Is their anything I can do to get my RAM to pass the memtest86, or are the 500,000 errors conclusive that RAM = bad?
    3) Is the RAM I just ordered compatible with my system?
    4) Is this the best forum OF ALL TIME, or what?

Thanks!

Parts:
    RAM that I can't get working.
    Motherboard.
    1100T AMD
    Last edited by computeruser2011; 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM.

Running 16GB would undoubtely put a good bit of stress on the IMC.
    Did you increase the memory voltage and CPU/NB & NB voltages while running 16GB?
    ASUS support isn't the best in the world, you should not have to re-install the OS to get these modules to work.
    Water over the dam at this point, but I'm not sure if those low voltage Sniper modules will work or not.
    From what I've seen, you may have to slightly up the memory voltage to get them to run on an AMD platform.

Check back here when you get the Snipers in, I'll help you with the voltage tweaks.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

I would assume the motherboard is bad. Each module at a time should work without a problem, and if none of the 4 modules worked properly, it's almost impossible that 4 modules are bad.

The RAM is compatible, so that's not a problem.

Let us know the results of the low voltage kit. AMD CPUs don't really like low voltage, so you may need to try a little higher voltage than rated.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I got my G.SKILL Low Voltage kits today... same results as old RAM (running all 16Gbs). Memtest86 loops endlessly on test 7 displaying 100,000's of thousands of errors. The only good thing about this RAM was the fact that they were auto recognized as 1600Mhz, and 1.25 volts.

Is their anything I can do to eliminate this error in bios settings, or is my mobo just bad?
        Is it normal that a mobo with bad dimm slots can POST, load windows, startup and run for hours without fault, but then freeze/lockup much later? I thought a bad DIMM slot was a bad dimm slot and it just plain didnt work at all. With the old RAM it didn't matter which module I installed, i got the same error results each time, I'm starting to think the problem isn't the DIMM slots, but maybe the memory controller or could it be something else? Could my processor be faulty and mishandling the information? I just don't want to exchange the motherboard and have the same problems...

I'm leaning towards faulty motherboard, but is their other hardware that could be causing this problem?

Any suggestions?

Comment

Try resetting the BIOS with the pins/button on the motherboard, then try again.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I reset the bios. No luck same erroneous results on memtest86.

Comment

If you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, you may want to check installation, but otherwise, you may need to try a new motherboard.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have a Corsair H70, it keeps the CPU at 29 - 39 degrees, idle/Full load. I went ahead and RMA'ed the motherboard. I should get it on Monday or Tuesday. I hope it solves the problem.

Comment

Alright....

I got my exchanged motherboard today, installed it, STILL getting the SAME errors as before...

I NEED HELP!!!

So far...

4 DIMMS F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL (16Gbs) gave half a million errors in memtest86 TEST 7.
                  4 DIMMS F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 (x2) (16Gbs) gave half a million errors in memtest86 TEST 7.

2x Asus Crosshair IV Formula. I don't know what is wrong. I am considering RMA'ing my GSKILL ram for known WORKING corsair ram...

Comment

Maybe 16GB is just too much stress for the 1100T IMC.
                    Have you tried testing with only 8GB memory installed?
                    Also, it's critical that you increase the CPU/NB, HT Link, and NB voltages when running 8GB+ memory.

I just got my 2nd Flare set today, now running 8GB, here are my settings:

CPU/NB voltage: 1.28750v
                    NB voltage: 1.38750v
                    HT Link voltage: 1.2750v
                    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                    Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Tried that... no luck. Anything else I can try?

Is my 1100T's IMC faulty? Should I Exchange it?

Should I try my friends set of Corsair RAM?

IDK what to try next...

Comment

I have been running 2x4GB dimms in the black slots.

Iteration #1 w/ 1333Mhz RAM speed - DRAM voltages:
                        1.25v - fail
                        1.35v - fail
                        1.45v - fail
                        1.50v - fail
                        1.55v - fail
                        1.60v - fail
                        1.65v - fail

Iteration #2 w/ 1600Mhz RAM speed - DRAM voltages:
                        1.25v - fail
                        1.35v - fail
                        1.45v - fail
                        1.50v - fail
                        1.55v - fail
                        1.60v - fail
                        1.65v - fail

All ram timings were default 9-9-9-24
                        All tests failed in same memtest86 location. Test #7 w/ endless loop of errors.

On the 14th I will have had my processor for 30 days. At this point I'm wondering if I should exchange (1) my ram, (2) my processor, or (3) both (just in case). Considering the fact that not even ONE dimm (4Gbs) hasen't worked properly in ANY slot, for 2 different sets. Are 8 dimms bad? I don't think so. Is the RAM not compatible? I was assured that the last set was compatible, is this brand new low volatage set not compatible? I honestly don't know, doesn't seem like it. Is my 1100T's IMC bad? Again, I don't know but I'm leaning toward that option.

I am still testing the ram, but any more suggestions or any advise is appreciated...

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you updated your bios and clear the CMOS after doing so?
                          Anything is possible, but it's unlikely that your 1100T IMC is defective.
                          I'm still leaning torwards the fact that these low voltage kits just don't play well on AMD chipsets.
                          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                          Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

But his original 16GBRL kit had the same problem, so I would suggest exchanging the CPU.

You can try your friend's memory as another test.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I am having similar issues. Test #7 fails on memtest86. I manually set the memory to 1066 and 1.5volts.

CPU: 990x EE
                              MB: Asus Rampage Extreme III
                              Memory: F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL

I left the timings at Auto in the bios as they were set for 9-9-9-24 which is the recommended timings for this memory.

imagine of memtest86:
                              http://img828.imageshack.us/i/20110422180749256.jpg/

Just of note, mdsched (Windows 7 memory test tool) passes the memory.

The reason I know something is wrong with my system is that it will periodically reboot (No BSOD) without warning. It can run for hours and be ok, then I can restart it and it will crash instantly. No pattern to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X