Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI Big Bang Xpower and Trident DDR3 2000 compatible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it looks like your board is actually over-volting a tad when compared to your BIOS settings..............

Hmm, that is a little strange, exactly opposite of mine.

I noticed that there was a new revision 1.4 BIOS available from MSI so I flashed mine from version 1.3 up to version 1.4

That has completely eliminated my vdroop problem on QPI voltage. Now my actual is almost dead nuts on the BIOS setting.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Slayer, I noticed the same thing as you as far as a combination of the XMP profile and board bios throwing goofy numbers out on channel B and channel C.

The way to work around that is to set your RAM channels to "Unlink" and then manually adjust all of the primary and secondary timings to agree with what Channel A set to.

Once you do this the first time you can go ahead and run the channels "Linked" and everything will stay set.

There is a funky work around, but it might be easier if I just gave you the settings right off my board. I'll get those for you when I get home tonight and I'll post them up here in this thread.

Regards,

JW
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      Corsair TX950W

Comment

Thanks. I got my RAM running a nice 6-6-6-18 1T 800MHz @ 1.6v. The problem seems to have gone away sort of now that I know how to work around it. I think I just have my usual bad OC draw. My 2 470s barely clock over stock and my CPU refuses to POST above 3.8GHz w/o 1.32v+ Not sure what is safe on this chip for sure, only found limits for the 920. I did have a 24 multi until I got the 1.51 BIOS...bring back my free multi!!!

I have the beta 1.51 BIOS so it looks like that solves the QPI. Did you check your CPU v as well? On every CPU I have owned I never got vdrop, ALWAYS ended up above what was set when under load. A 0.01v over set is not too bad. MY old AMD chip I could get it to hit 1.65v with 1.475 in BIOS, that took some work to get and got it up to 3.6GHz for a while. Terrible OC chip, 9850BE...
        HAF-X
        i7 950 @3.84GHz
        H70
        MSI Big Bang XPower
        G.Skill Ripjaw Turbulence II 3x2GB DDR3 2000
        Crucial C300 64GB SSD
        Samsung SP F4 2TB RAID 0
        2xEVGA GTX 470
        Lite On & ASUS DVD Burners
        CM Silent Pro Gold 1200W
        7 Ultimate x64

Comment

CPU and DRAM voltage have always been spot on going back to BIOS revision 1.2

The only one that has been wacky was the QPI voltage. But apparently that is fixed
          now too.

I ran some benchmark runs of 3DMark11 over the weekend for a challenge we've got going on over at OCC and I was able to run my rig at 4.4Ghz cpu and 2000Mhz memory. This was prime95, memtest and 3Dmark stable.
          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
          Intel i7 950
          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
          Corsair TX950W

Comment

Sounds good. What CPU voltage you got? I have not pushed mine past 1.312v so far. I have gotten to 4140MHz OCCT stable but that seems to be about my limit as my 24x multi is gone and it only goes to 23x now. CPU does not like anything over 3.8GHz with up to 1.312v. I don't want to end up killing this chip but I want to hit 40k on Vantage.

Here is my current score: 37444
            http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2915835

Sadly my cards won't go much higher, 805/1785 seems the limit ;(
            HAF-X
            i7 950 @3.84GHz
            H70
            MSI Big Bang XPower
            G.Skill Ripjaw Turbulence II 3x2GB DDR3 2000
            Crucial C300 64GB SSD
            Samsung SP F4 2TB RAID 0
            2xEVGA GTX 470
            Lite On & ASUS DVD Burners