Ddr3-2000 qpi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ddr3-2000 qpi?

Hmm, well, figured I could run an BLCK at 185Mhz with DDR3: x10 1850Mhz at 1.66v (1.648v actual with DDR Termination at 0.830v) with an QPI at 1.34v, but to get the Uncore up(above 3700Mhz) I need an insane QPI 1.58-1.60v.

So, how is the safety on the 1.6v QPI voltages I mean it works GREAT all stable, but for 24/7 up-time? I need minimum of 1.58v to stay fully 100% stable seems nothing below has any chance I went up from 1.34v 0.02 incrediments to 1.58v and only 1.58 works solid as a rock.

So, will this QPI voltage of 1.58v gonna kill A. my CPU or B. my board. Seems temperatures are just fine.
    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Solved

Well, it seems after I hauled over Intel datasheets and took a look on Gigabyte, ASUS, ertc etc Motherboard manufacturer forums as well as to several memory manufacturer forums.

It would seems everyone is stating the same which I believe to be correct that in way YES intel is listing maximum voltages however Intel does not SUPPORT overclocking so those voltages are maximum for stock and I believe that anything between 1.100-1.600v QPI are good as long PLL is on safe range stable and RAM is at least at 1.65-1.75v. As there is no way you will do over 3700Mhz Uncore (aka. 180-185Mhz (depending how good board you got) QPI) with out increasing some voltages.

Ideally the old X38 and X48 DDR2 was stable on VERY high voltages at the end as we remember probably all that DDR2 did begin with 'we are green screw ups' and ended up on 'more power you use the better' just depending on IC quality and while clocking this and North Bridge to stable in range at 375-475Mhz (depending on CPU) we started to need around 1.40-1.48v for the north bridge alone (REAL voltage this input is 1.50-1.58v not 1.40-1.48v) was the ideal to top out the LGA775 board (at least I've personally tested ASUS, Gigabyte all does the same).

So, I believe we are still on same boat with Intel new QPI crap and to do REAL overclocking we need at least 1.50-1.60v to stabilize the "North Bridge" or "QPI" to do required bandwidth to stabilize the CPU <->memory <-> PCIe <->rest.

"Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

High Voltage is no problem, just need to keep the hardware cool so it does not overheat and cause damage or become defective. Many people use QPI 1.60V for 24/7 with aftermarket CPU cooler for many years already. So it is safe to say no real damage is done.

The new 980X is similar to the soon sandybridge. QPI is much improved, so it will require much less QPI Voltage for high frequency. Right now, DDR3-2000 requires ~1.55V for most i7 LGA 1366 CPU. The i7-980X only needs ~1.25V! Triple channel can finally make DDR3-2500+.

hint hint- G.Skill kit coming soon. And you know that means triple channel WR DDR3-3000+

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X