What RAM to buy...too many choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What RAM to buy...too many choices

I am in the market for RAM and I found GSKILL to be priced competitively. Now, what do I buy? I looked at the products page for PC3 16000 and found 6 pages of DDR3. I do want some good performing RAM, but I don't need the bleeding edge super fast most expensive either. The Gigabyte site lists the RAM that it says is supported, but that can't be an all inclusive list from every manufacturer either. I'm thinking I want at least the 1600, but the MOBO supposed supports the 2000. Either way, I am overwhelmed and don't know what to get.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

I found some memory that says for AMD X6 only. OK, fine. But will any of the DDR3 work in my PC? I mean, besides the speed (1333, 1600, 1800, 1866, 2000, etc.), are there certain type of DDR that will work better (or only) on a specific platform? That is one question that I have never found an answer to.

No, DDR3 memory will all work similarly. There are only frequency, timings, and voltages that are more optimized for certain platforms. For example, AMDs we have the Flare Series. All the specs offered in the Flare series are specifically for the 890 chipset and hex core CPU. Because Intel has a better memory controller, it can use this memory too, but there are even better specs for Intel, which is why Intel users don't need to stick with the Flare series.

With that hardware combination, any of the Flare series would be perfect.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I can attest to G. Skill Flare for the AMD 890 chipset, great memory!
      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
      Corsair HX850W Modular
      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Thank you. Very helpful.

gskill tech,
        suggestion for the site...put the products into a table so they can all be compared at one time. The current setup if hard to navigate.

Comment

Thanks, will see how we can improve on that.

GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X