Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x2gb F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL dual channel issue

Hello,

I purchased a kit from newegg of GSkill RAM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277 ). The RAM is spec'ed as supporting dual channel and is also spec'ed to run at 1600 (800mHz). However I cannot get my RAM to stabilize at the proposed specifications on the box in dual channel configuration. I have tried loosening timings, tightening timings, changing voltages and frequencies on my motherboard to better suit the RAM and I couldn't come up with a stable setting. Moving one stick into another slot on my mobo. and out of dual channel the RAM is stable. How, if at all, can I stabilize this in dual channel at the specified rate of 800mHz?

Motherboard:
    ASRock M3A785GXH/128M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157167

Processor:
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGIBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103692

Other notes:
    The mother board has been RMA'd once due to a faulty RAM channel.

Thank you.

Did you raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V? Along with the basic memory settings, you should have no problems.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes I increased the NB voltage by +.1 and changed the timings to the listed 9 9 9 24; and tried the 9 9 9 27 timings recommended by Gskill support when I was determining the faulty RAM slot in the original motherboard. I tried to stabilize the RAM by upping the voltage a small amount but stopped at 1.6x because there wasn't even the slightest change in behavior.

Comment

CPU-NB Voltage not NB Voltage.

There are two different ones.

For sure settings, try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

If I wanted RAM that ran at 1333 I would have bought RAM that ran at 1333. I bought RAM that was supposed to run at 1600. If you're going to tell me that it cannot run at 1600 stable; I think this is the last set of Gskill anything I purchase.

Comment

I did not say that. I am troubleshooting the problem. If DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 doesn't work, then you may have a CPU or motherboard problem. If it does, then it is a voltage problem.

I am more than aware that you purchased DDR3-1600 memory to operate at DDR3-1600. Also, double check to make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

In 1333 the RAM runs rock solid. I have the latest version of the BIOS as well. For this version of BIOS, the CPU-NB voltage is listed as NB voltage; the description text describes this. For this motherboard there is one NB voltage.

In 1600 dual channel the RAM does not work fine; but in single channel it works just fine. I was looking to upgrade with another kit of the same RAM but with 4 sticks in 4 slots I want to be able to run them at the speeds they were designed to run at in the configuration they were designed to run in.

Comment

Since you can not adjust CPU-NB Voltage, raise memory voltage to 1.60V. This should work fine for DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24.

For 4 modules, you will most likely need to downclock to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24. This would probably be faster than DDR3-1600 CL9 anyway.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hello Gskill support;

I have deduced with the help of MemTest86 and your input that it is not the RAM at fault but the motherboard. Since I have two open slots I tested each module individually with Memtest which each passed except when seated in one specific slot on the board. Right now I have the RAM running at its designated timings 9 9 9 24 @ 1.59v in the other two slots (other channel) of the motherboard at 1600 just fine. I have contacted ASRock for RMA. Please note that this is the SECOND ASRock motherboard of this model with the same issue. I apologize that I had assumed that the second motherboard did not have the same issue as the previous one but as it turns out that is exactly what happened.

Comment

Glad to hear you were able to figure it out. Also, the reason you can't run 8GB @ DDR3-1600 is because that motherboard can not support it. Since you are swapping motherboards, you may want a different one that can support CPU-NB Voltage adjustment so you can operate 8GB at rated specifications. This voltage boost is required as the AMD CPU is not capable of DDR3-1600, let alone 8GB of it. We were able to get DDR3-1600 stable with 4GB by raising DRAM Voltage to force CPU-NB Voltage to naturally rise on its own. But for 8GB, chances are it will just be overloaded/unstable.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X