• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange... F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Mobo- GA-870A-UD3
    Ram- F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
    CPU- 555 BE C3

This build has been a pain in the ****! 3+ days of hair pulling but it seems like I have things under control now.

With both sticks of ram in (tried both dual and separate channels) I could not get any OS to load completely. Win7 finally loaded but BSODed continually with ram set at mobo default (1333 9-9-9-24 2t). Memtest (ran in windows) tossed out errors within a second of starting. I think the install partially failed. I then played with timings until I hit 1600 7-8-7-24 2t at 1.6v and nb of 1.1. It passed a 100% sweep of memtest but I was still getting BSODs.

Also, several Linux distros would not install. Finally I pulled one stick of ram and was able to install Linux and reinstall windows without a problem. Strange?

After installing the 3 OS that I wanted I plugged the other stick back in and have now completed a 200% error free memtest86+ with mobo stock ram settings (besides dram 1.6v).

My question is... ram? mobo? amd cpu? or a crumby combo of all 3?

Now to try and unlock those extra cores and play around with timings now that I finally have stable OS installed.

More or less I wrote in to share what worked for me when I was having very strange problems that I hadn't read about yet. Hopefully this will help someone out.

Cheers!

Thank you for your kind intention to share information.

The CPU will not be capable of rated timings, so you will need to use 8-8-8-24 timings instead of 7-8-7-24. Also, raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V. Once this is complete, your system should be more stable.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

follow up

Thanks for the reply- Gskill guy!

Problem has been isolated! One stick passes memtest86+ in all 4 dimm slots and the other stick throws errors at 47% in all 4 slots. Looks like I have one bad stick. I have tried a few dozen different timings with the same results.

I am going to RMA the sticks back to Newegg tomorrow and pick up a set of white listed F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (staying with gskill for now). Seems like that set will have a better chance at hitting tight timings and 1600.

I know that this happens now and then- just sucks a bit to be down for a few days.

Thanks,
      Subie

ps- with the one good stick in all three os are working great. windows was terrible with both stick in- tons of errors and BSODs.
      Last edited by subie; 11-11-2010, 11:35 PM. Reason: ps

Comment

Working...
      X