F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Issues with MSI 790FX-GD70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Issues with MSI 790FX-GD70

I am having a problem with using both F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM on a MSI 790FX-GD70. If you read below you can see the full details in the correspondence with I had with MSI regarding this which initially I thought it was the RAM then I thought it was a faulty motherboard. I sent the board in for RMA and today I was told there was nothing wrong with it as they have tested it and gotten RAM to work with it!?!

Could anyone suggest anything or give any experiences on a similar problem as I the only thing I can think of is that its a problem with the G.Skill RAM (not being fully compatible?) again. (even though I tried a different RAM stick and it didnt work either)

..I have seen there have been 2 BIOS updates by MSI since I sent the board in and I am planning to install the latest when I get the board back this weekend. Hopefully it will work finally then as I have now wasted ?20 extra in postage to be told the mobo is working fine!

Thanks

---------
    11 Oct 2010

Hi

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have tested the Motherboard with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 4GB of DDR3 in 2x2 Modules and a ATI X300 and found that the motherboard POST's to display with RAM in banks 1 & 2 and also 3 & 4

As we cannot find a fault with the item there will be a ?5+VAT test fee and a ?5+VAT return P&P.

SW 26/09/10

Kindest Regards,
    Eclipse Computers

--------------------
    Posted: Aug 02, 2010 by Me

DIMM Slot issues

I have had this board since January 2010 and it has always refused to work with 2 RAM sticks (2 x 2GB) inserted in any combination of DIMM slots. I am able to use it with 1 RAM stick (2GB) but ONLY in DIMM2 and not in any other. If I attempt to use 2 of the RAM in any combination of DIMM slots, including 1 in the 2nd slot I get a message of FF on the LED Display.

I thought it might be a problem with the G.SKill RAM DDR3 PC3-12800 (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM) so I tried 1 stick of cheap Samsung 1GB DDR3 PC3-10600 CL9 (M378B2873EH1-CH9) I bought off ebay at AUTO settings but this also only works in the 2nd RAM slot and gives the same FF error.

The G.Skill RAM works at default 1333 (FSBRAM=AUTO) and have tested the RAM with the official G.Skill published recommendations for these sticks in 1600 mode: DRAM Freq: 800, 8-8-8-24-1T, 1.60V, FSBRAM 1:4 which does not make any difference in operation but again neither setting enables me to insert 2 RAM sticks.
    I am aware the G.Skill RAM is not on the official recommended RAM list for the GD70, however on looking at internet forums, G.Skill themselves say the RAM works on the GD70 and other GD70 users are able to use this combination of RAM and AMD CPU without issue; in addition, I have not been able to find anybody else mentioning the specific DIMM slot issues that I am experiencing.

Thus I have concluded that most likely the problem lies with the mainboard rather than the components and would like your opinion on this as I was planning to request an RMA.

Thanks

>Posted: Aug 02, 2010 by MSI

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting MSI Technical Support.

Regarding your concern, for 790FX-GD70, would you please set OC Dial to off to check?

If the issue persists, please unplug the power-cord and clear CMOS (How to clear CMOS. Please refer to the manual-->Hardware setup-->Jumpers-->Clear CMOS jumper for how to clear CMOS). Then enter BIOS setting by pressing the "DEL" key during POST, Load BIOS Setup Defaults/Load Optimized Defaults, and then save &exit check again. Please insert ram to DIMM1 first then DIMM2 to check.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

MSI Technical Support Team

>>Posted: Aug 17, 2010 by Me

Hi

I have tried the processes you have recommended to no avail. I had never activated or used the OC function so there was nothing to turn off or set to 0. Also neither clearing the CMOS (via the CLR CMOS button - I believe the 790FC-GD70 to be a jumperless board) or loading fail-safe/optimised defaults results in RAM being able to be used in DIMM1, still I am only able to use 1 stick of RAM in DIMM2.
    Please advise further.

Thanks

>>>Posted: Aug 18, 2010 by MSI

Dear Sir/Madam,

Regarding your concern, would you please update to version 1.D bios from below link to check again?
    You could refer to below link to know how to do bios update.

Best regards,

>>>>Posted: Aug 19, 2010 by Me

Hi

I had already updated to the 1.D BIOS about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't make any difference. Still when I try to use DIMM1 I just get the FF error on the motherboad LED readout.
    Please advise further.

Thanks

>>>>>Posted: Aug 31, 2010 by MSI

Dear Sir/Madam,

Regarding your concern, it would be better to try to contact your reseller (the place you bought the board from) to check whether the DIMM1 slot damaged or not. If the reseller for some reason can not help, you could also try to contact MSI distributor near your place or MSI office.

Best regards,

Do you have another CPU to test it with? Otherwise, what if you try 2T on the command rate with 1.2V on the CPU/NB.

Comment

Really???

?5+VAT test fee and a ?5+VAT return P&P.

If the standard cheapy stick didn't work, how is the G.Skill suppose to?

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Slightly good news..but still ?20 lighter in pocket!

Well they obviously made it work, so they claim - that information has cost me ?20!

I have since updated the BIOS to the newest 1.F (of which 1 of the 2 update notes say 'improved memory compatibility') and now DIMM4 accepts RAM and boots with it in both by itself and together with RAM in DIMM2 but not in any other combination. I have not needed to change anything in the BIOS - it's all at AUTO (as the settings go back to default automatically when you try sticks in different slots and then turn the power off before it gets past the POST screen)

Thus now I have 2 x 2GB in DIMMs 2+4 so I am able to use the RAM but only in single channel mode as obviously for dual channel I need the sticks in DIMM 1+2/3+4.

I still can not put sticks of RAM in DIMMs 1 or 3, single or both to make the system boot. The LED diagnostic thing just outputs FF and there is another red LED that indicates the board is rebooting all the time.

The next thing I can think of is to send the Phenom 955 back to AMD and if that doesn't throw up anything up then the RAM back to G.Skill. All in all, it is going to cost me in total around ?60 in postage by the end of it all. I can buy 4GB more RAM with that!

I am coming to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the Phenom 955 on board memory controller or that it's still the bloody motherboard as how can I now use 2 sticks of RAM after a BIOS update when I couldn't before?! Surely it's an issue with the board?

Can anyone suggest anything else please?

Comment

I hate to sound like a smarty pants..............

Return the motherboard and cpu to the retailer and ask for a refund.

Keep your RAM and buy a socket 1156 board (from someone other than MSI).

That customer service is horrible, just horrible..........................
          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
          Intel i7 950
          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
          OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
          WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
          WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
          Corsair TX950W
          Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Thanks but aside from suspiciously sounding a bit like an Intel Fanboy..I would love to do that but I bought the gear in January so it's probably a bit late to ask for a refund! They would just give me a credit at best and I would have to give a good enough reason for them to even do that.

MSI customer service is a bit rubbish in the sense that it took them about 3wks+ to reply and give a basic suggestion as 'reset the board' or 'update the BIOS'. Other than that, MSI customer serice have not given me any issues.

The people I sent the board back to were NOT MSI but the online shop I originally bought it from Eclipse Computers whose customer service WAS a bit crap since they tested the board and found it was apparently not faulty but then did not contact me about returning it! Also they did not confirm receipt of it in the 1st place and the person I had been emailing probably left or something as his email address bounced when I tried to email him.

I have now tried the el cheapo RAM in the board and it acts the same as the G.Skill (i.e only working in DIMMs 2+4) so it seems the RAM sticks are not at fault. I am going to do a memtest86 on the 4GB I have in and see if they are ok (which I suspect they will be).

I am guessing that the 955 is faulty in some way and will return it at some stage in the 3yr warranty..unfortunately, my brother has just started Uni and he already was without a PC for a month when I returned the mobo and I don't want to affect his studies at the mo so will probably send it after his last semester.

Comment

Faulty DIMM slots really weren't much of a secret on some recent MSI motherboards. Did you talk to anyone over at the MSI forums, or did you just contact MSI customer service?

If you want I can hook you up with an admin over at the MSI Forums and maybe they can help.

Since both kits of RAM exhibit the same behavior it has to be a motherboard or cpu issue.

And no - I'm not an Intel fanboy - I use both. Performance/Price = a winner (as a friend of mine always says)
              MSI Big Bang xPower x58
              Intel i7 950
              GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
              Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
              Corsair TX950W
              Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

I only had correspondence with the customer service team and not at the forums, and yes I have come to the comclusion also that it IS the motherboard as how can the RAM work now after a BIOS update!

If you could hook me up with that MSI admin it would be much appreciated and do you think it would be a good idea to put this problem on the MSI forums too?

BTW I would have bought an LGA1156 mobo before but I gave my dad a budget of about ?800 and at the time the new i5/i7's had just come out and were just a bit too expensive - unlike now. I also wanted to get an ATI 5850 as my bro likes gaming and the Phenoms were the only ones that came into budget.

Thanks

Comment

Here's the contact information;

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?action=profile;u=13
                  MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                  Intel i7 950
                  GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                  Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                  Corsair TX950W