F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ BIOS Config Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ BIOS Config Assistance

I'm having some issues with this memory on an Asus Sabertooth x58 board with a Core i7 950 CPU @ stock settings.

When the system is powered down for an extended period (8 hours or more) the system fails to post. When i restart again i get a message "Overclock Failure" and an option to go into BIOS or accept default values. I can just go into BIOS, not change anything, and then run perfectly stable until the next time it's shut down and cold booted. If i disable the XMP profile and just run at 1066 i get a blue screen after a few minutes of operation.

I'm thinking this is a configuration problem as opposed to a hardware issue, so any advice i could get as far as QPI and DRAM voltages would be very helpful. I've been testing with 6GB but the end result would ideally be 12GB with all 6 slots populated. I've been using the auto configured XMP settings in the BIOS.

Please send the memory in for replacements.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

You should know that i have 2 sets of this memory and i've tried both sets 6GB at a time and am getting that same result. If you still believe that it should be replaced then i will gladly send it back.

Comment

XMP should run fine with 6GB.. Send it to us directly and request to have it tested. A different batch should have different results. Do you have the latest BIOS? A different batch should have different results.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I am running the latest BIOS. I'll start a RMA. I'll need to do it 1 set at a time as the machine can't be down and this isn't really creating a huge issue. It's just annoying.

Comment

ms,

what power supply are you running and how old is it?

can you post up your complete bios settings? that would help out. i find it hard to believe that two kits of gskill ram are bad. guess that they could be but it sure seems strange.

have you ran memtest? and if so what were the results?

do you have a cold boot issue if you return all settings back to bios defaults? one thing i've noticed on my asus x58 boards (even when using super power supplies like the corsair 750TX and 850TX) is that the 3.3 rail droops pretty badly when running high overclocks.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
            WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
            WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
            Corsair TX950W
            Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Well the problem with sending them back one at a time is that the replacement may not work with your existing memory. The memory comes as a matched kit, so you are hoping/chancing that single module replacements will work with them. So if you are not going to send the entire kit, just make sure you send the bad one in only.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

@ wevsspot - I am using the power supply in this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129024

I purchased the case at the same time as the memory and CPU. I'll get some photos of the BIOS screen when i'm able to do so. This machine is currently in production so i have to work around that. I have not run memtest but have done stress testing for 8+ hours without failure while running the XMP profile.

I do not have an issue cold booting using default settings but it detects different amounts of memory and blue screen after a few minutes of operation.

@ GSKILL TECH - I think you're misunderstanding. I do not intend on sending back individual DIMMs - i have 2 kits of this memory. I would send back kit 1 - get the replacement - and then send back kit 2.

Just so everyone is aware though i've been able to boot several times without a hitch after adjusting the DIMM voltage to 1.6v and the QPI voltage to 1.24v (although i'm still only using 1 of the 2 kits). I've got another Sabertooth x58 + Core i7950 on the way for a different build that i intend on doing some testing with if i continue having issues just to eliminate any board/user errors.

Comment

No, two different kits may have compatibility issues, that's why we offer 12GB kits and such. Otherwise we can just sell single modules and tell people to purchase as many as they need.

If you send all sticks back to us, we will confirm to make sure all modules you send us will work together, since it would be logical that you are trying to use them all in the same system..

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

At the time of purchase i didnt realize there were matched 12GB kits available. My fault for not researching properly. Live and learn i guess. I think it's awesome you guys are willing to fix my foul up though. Just another reason to keep buying gskill products. I'll need to order another set to use in the interim but i'll get it taken care of. Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Yea, no matter what, people will make these mistakes, it's just natural, so we will do what we can to fix these accidents.

Now, I'm not saying there is no way they will work (because many are successful), but my goal is to make sure you are aware in case you end up sending them in more than 3 times or something.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X