Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Crosshiar IV Extreme

Hey Guys!

Just had a quick question that I could not find an answer for already present:

I am about to purchase a Crosshair IV Extreme mobo, and will be using a Phenom II X6 1090T. I plan on getting FLARE ram for the board and need some clarification. [ FLS ] F3-16000CL7Q-8GBFLS (2Gx4) is on the QVL for this mobo with the X6 processor, but I can only find [ FLS ] F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS (2Gx2) available for sale. The specs across the board on these are identical, the only difference I can find is the number of DIMMs in the package. So basically my question is whether [ FLS ] F3-16000CL7Q-8GBFLS (2Gx4) == 2X [ FLS ] F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS (2Gx2)? (more or less).

I did notice when perusing the Forums is that apparently since the latest bouts of ASUS' BIOS updates, all FLARE ram is now compatible with any ASUS 890FX board with an X6. Following from this, would it be more recommended to use one of the proposed configurations above, or to use the [ FLS ] F3-16000CL8D-8GBFLS (4Gx2)?

Thanks for any and all help!
    The Future is fusion

Go with the 2x4GB kit, it is more expensive but it frees you 2 slots of memory. I have it on my Crosshair IV Formula, works like a charm. Do you hate noise? Because I've read that the little fan under the Extreme's heatsink on the VRMs is really noisy. Otherwise, just get the Formula, unless you need Hydra.

Comment

Thank you for posting. I do have my reasons for going with the Extreme over the Formula, and am not worried about the noise from the fan as I will be getting a full board WB. I like the idea of the 4GB modules, but I am not completely convinced yet. I'd also still like to hear an answer to my former question at least before moving on. More than anything I'd like to hear what GSKILL has to say on the matter.
      The Future is fusion

Comment

This is another interesting question, has anyone actually tried pushing to 7-9-7 latencies on the 4GB modules? I would be interested to hear if it can be pulled off. Also, do you really think its worth getting the 4GB modules to eventually expand to 16GB in the future at the expense of the CL7 latency dropping to CL8?
        The Future is fusion

Comment

For me I think its worth it. Right now I have them at CL8 and I didn't try pushing them to CL7. In my opinion, having 8GB CL8 from 2 sticks is better than having 8GB in 4 sticks CL7. The performance difference is tiny, in the order of 1~3% I'd say. I've heard that Crosshair IV Formula have 2 slots stronger than the 2 others so having all four populated might not guarantee a CL7 from 4 sticks. Also, you'll need to crank the CPU/NB pretty high to maintain stability with 4 sticks.

Comment

Between the 2 * 2 x 2GB or 4 x 2GB, the latter is only necessary if you may need 16GB in the future. (Deciding factor) Otherwise, 4 sticks are cheaper..

Whatever we release in the "Flare" series, it will be supported by your motherboard and CPU. Those are top of the line hardware, so if they can't do it, no market AMD can.

So yes, 4 modules, 8GB of DDR3-2000 CL7 can be achieved. 2 modules of 8GB @ DDR3-2000 CL8 can be achieved as well. But any other spec will be pushing limits. That's what we do! We push limits of top of the line parts and produce that product for you so you can experience it. So if you have the top of the line parts, they will also work with our top of the line parts for your hardware. ;-)

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks so much for the input! I almost ready to make my final decision.
              The Future is fusion

Comment

Working...
              X