F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI and Asus P6X58D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI and Asus P6X58D

Ok, so I just bought both of these for a new build, and put them together. I've read up and down that 'everything' should work with the board, but I wanted specific clarification because I can't get it to work at all (mem-test red led stays lit all the time, indicating an incompatibility).

I do not have other RAM to test with (this is all the DDR3 I've got..), but I have tried all three together, and each of the individual sticks in multiple single slot configurations with the same result.

The system...
    i7 930
    Asus P6X58D MB
    F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI GSKILLS RAM

and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure is irrelevant (video, etc.). Please tell me if you need to know.

I've run the mem-test function of the board, which it goes through but fails (solid red light after running test) with multiple configurations. The system will not post at all, zero output on my monitor. Is it more likely I've got a bad board or bad RAM? Which should I be RMA'ing? After I get new parts (for either one..) will these two pieces play nicely together?

Thanks.

Marketer,

There isn't any reason that motherboard/ram shouldn't be working together.

What BIOS revision are you running and what dimm slots are populated?

Is your motherboard the Premium or E?
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Originally posted by wevsspot View Post
      Marketer,

There isn't any reason that motherboard/ram shouldn't be working together.

What BIOS revision are you running and what dimm slots are populated?

Is your motherboard the Premium or E?
      Thanks Wevsspot -

I'll get the BIOS revision when I get back home, but I just got the board a few days ago so I imagine it can't be that outdated...I think everything post 400 works w/ the i7, so I'll confirm.

I've only been filling the light blue dimm slots as per the instructions that came with the board. I've tried each of the slots individually, with different sticks of RAM to find out if that was my issue.

The board is a premium.

I've read over on the ASUS boards that my CPU may need to be remounted (using an aftermarket cooler), and the CMOS thing may need to be reset (haven't done that yet, might be the issue). Hopefully one of those two things will fix it

Comment

You're on the right track. If still no go, you'll want to replace the motherboard. Each module should work on it's own, so no way you have three dead beat modules.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Asus has had some issues with bent cpu pins on their motherboards over the course of the last year. Also the CPU latching mechanism has been finicky.

Check for bent cpu pins on the motherboard with a magnifying glass.

If the pins all look good try re-seating your cpu. When reinstalling, use your fingers to put even pressure on the two corners of the cpu IHS opposite the lock down lever. Then lock the lever down.

Make sure to clean off the old TIM and apply new before putting the cpu cooler back on.
          Last edited by wevsspot; 09-21-2010, 04:47 AM.
          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
          Intel i7 950
          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
          Corsair TX950W

Comment

The latest BIOS revision for your board is 1002 dated 9/10/2010
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

Asus has had some issues with bent cpu pins on their motherboards over the course of the last two years. Also the latching mechanism has been finicky.

Check for bent cpu pins on the motherboard with a magnifying glass.

If the pins all look good try re-seating your cpu. When reinstalling, use your fingers to put even pressure on the two corners of the cpu IHS opposite the lock down lever. Then lock the lever down.

Make sure to clean off the old TIM and apply new before putting the cpu cooler back on.
              I went through re-seating the cpu and trying the CMOS button, now the red led stays constant even when I hit the mem-test button (when I first built it, the memtest would flash, and the system would restart a few times while it went through the process).

ASUS says that bent pins void the warranty? That's pretty lame if I got one that was bent and then they won't take it back.

In any event, I got an RMA number and I'm just going to see if I can get a new one. Just sucks waiting 2 weeks to get it all sorted out. I appreciate all your help, I'll post back here with results from the new board for anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future..

Comment

It sure sounds like an issue with the board. Since you just purchased all of this stuff can't you do an RMA or Exchange with the retailer? That would be faster than waiting on ASUS.

What power supply are you running and are you sure that ALL of the motherboard power plugs are attached and firmly seated?
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                Corsair TX950W

Comment

I bought the board from Amazon. Which actually might be a faster route to return it (they will overnight the new stuff..). I wasn't sure if they took defective parts back, thought the RMA was my only option.

Comment

And while this has nothing to do with ASUS boards - Amazon's return policy rocks.

I've just gone through it after a quick google search, and they'll send me a replacement out and give me 30 days to return the original back to them. They even pay for my return shipping (gave me a label for UPS, just have to drop it off). Should be much faster this way! Good call on that!

Comment

That's great news. Please keep us posted once you get the new board in.

Good luck!
                      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                      Intel i7 950
                      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                      Corsair TX950W

Comment

That's great news. Please keep us posted once you get the new board in.

Good luck!
                        Ok, got the new board this evening and just put it in w/ everything.

The old board clearly had a bent pin in the CPU connection (wasn't sure what I was looking for exactly until I got the new board and saw the difference between the two). Installed everything, and have run through the CMOS bit, and memcheck, and tried multiple pieces in different slots, still with the same effect. It won't post, and the led next to the ram stays lit

It's been a solid ten years since my last PC build, thought it'd be fun to go through again, forgot about the frustrating parts of making it work lol. Any other thoughts on what might be my issue? Bad CPU is all I can think of. Could the bent pin on the old board have damaged my cpu?

Comment

One module at a time doesn't work? It boils down to two defective memory sticks, or one bad CPU.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X