No announcement yet.

Ripjaw 1600 running at 1333

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just played around with some of the overclocking settings and through doing that have got the memory working (subject to testing) at 1533MHz, with 8-8-8-24 timings.

That's at least closer to the ratings I'm aiming for, so won't be too disappointed should it not get that little bit faster and tighter.

Comment

Progress is Progress no matter how incremental

Seriously though - good news and congratulations.
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
      Corsair TX950W
      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Overclocked the my CPU by 20%, which resulted in an increase in teh RAM speed of 20% too, so got the sticks running at bios settings of DDR31600 with timings of 7-8-7-24, so that's what I was after! Anything more than that seems to not load or crash... at least that is without manually changing any voltages etc. As I don't want to dabble in the parts I don't quite understand fully yet.

Well put one stick through memtest last night and the other while I was at work...

Both got zero errors, however, the info given on the sticks differed:

The first one had

Settings RAM 200 DDR400 / CAS 7-8-7-24 / DDR3 (64)

The 2nd

Settings RAM 666 DDR1333 / CAS 7-8-7-24 / DDR3 (64)

Given that my bios is set at DDR3 1600 should that not have been how the sticks ran? Rather than apparently DDR3 1333 and DDR3 400!!

Should I put both sticks through it together too?

On a different topic, I ran GPU-Z to get info on the integrated graphics on the mobo, and it is meant to be DDR3 1333 ram, but it is showing up on GPU-Z as DDR2 ram. the default clock is at 667MHz, but is running at 397.

I'm sharing 512MB with the Ripjaw RAM (never really used more than 60% so figured why not?). Will this be affecting its speed - like the given measurements are the lowest common denominator that they both can work together at or something?
        Last edited by degeneration; 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I think the 785G uses either DDR2 RAM or GDDR3 Sideport memory. Since your motherboard doesn't have Sideport, it might be using physical memory but in DDR2 mode.

Where did you get the memory stick info?

Sharing memory with the IGP doesn't slow down your memory clock. It does eat bandwidth which decreases your overall memory performance.

Comment

The mobo does have sideport memory - 128MB DDR3 1333 - or rather I've just read the small print on the back of the mobo box, and it actually says for the sideport memory 128MB DDR3 1333 (oc)/1200. So will maybe have to play around with a few more settings to get it up to the quoted 1333, but surely then it should still be quoted as 600 in GPU-Z rather than 397?

What is a reasonable voltage for the sideport memory? Have it set at Auto at the moment, but figure a hard setting might be better.

The mem stick info was quoted from the info line on memtest86+.

Comment

I don't know whats a reasonable sideport voltage but I do know you need to set it to UMA+Sideport in the BIOS.

Comment

what slots are your memory modules installed in?
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                Corsair TX950W
                Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

they are in the white ones, (A2, B2 I think they are called) - the ones specified for DDR3 1600 in the manual.

Will check the bios to see if it is on UMA + Sideport. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X