Only 2GB of 4GB available...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 2GB of 4GB available...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. (TOTAL: 4GB)

Motherboard: Asus P7H57D-V EVO Socket 1156

I've included a picture which will hopefully illustrate my problem

http://i.imgur.com/SXhFB.jpg

Basically, my computer acts as if I only have 2 gigs of RAM, with the rest tied up as "Hardware Reserved". I do have a graphics card, (ASUS ENGTX 460 1GB) and as far as I know that motherboard does not have integrated graphics.

I've read the sticky threads, even though one that specifically mentions computers detecting less RAM - but I'm fairly inept at messing around with my computer, and most examples I've seen involve computers with ridiculous amounts of RAM, or different motherboards, etc, and the solutions seem rather complicated to me.

I've tried a couple things, changing the AI overclock tuner (I think that's what it's called) to XMP, or various other settings, to no avail. I've fiddled with memory remapping in the BIOS, also to no avail.

If anyone could help, it'd be much appreciated.

Hey
    What operating system are you running? 32 bit systems dont recognize high amounts of ram
    Have you tried booting up your PC with each stick of ram on its own to check if one is faulty?

Comment

Originally posted by Metal_maniac1 View Post
      Hey
      What operating system are you running? 32 bit systems dont recognize high amounts of ram
      Have you tried booting up your PC with each stick of ram on its own to check if one is faulty?
      Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, with all important updates installed.

As for booting up my PC with each stick of RAM on its own to check if its faulty, that's kind of weird... here's what happened

Slot 1
      Stick A does not work on its own
      Stick B does work on its own

Slot 3
      Stick A does work on its own
      Stick B does work on its own

Slots 2 and 4
      As far as I can tell, putting the RAM in these slots, (with nothing in slots 1 and 3) will not allow me to boot.

So, from this it looks like both sticks work fine, but one of the sticks has trouble in one of the slots, but the other stick works fine in that slot. I've tried switching the sticks around (putting Stick A into slot 3) but it doesn't really do anything.
      Last edited by pat965; 09-12-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

What CPU are you using? Try enabling the XMP Profile in BIOS.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          What CPU are you using? Try enabling the XMP Profile in BIOS.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 Quad-Core Socket LGA1156 2.8GHz

I've already tried the XMP setting, and it had no effect.

Also worth noting my friend bought the exact same computer setup as me, and he suffers from the same problem, so I think the two just aren't compatible - is there anything I can do to make it work?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? Send the memory in for new replacements to see if the new kit works better. There should be no compatibility issue, ASUS uses our memory for testing.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X