Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS recognizes all 8GB, then doesn't....defective RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS recognizes all 8GB, then doesn't....defective RAM?

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67GHz (overclocked to 3.04 GHz)
    MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L (rev 1.0)
    GRAPHICS: XFX ATI HD RADEON 5830 (1GB)
    RAM: TWO kits of G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

For several months I have been having problems with getting newly installed RAM to show up in both the BIOS and Windows. And sometimes I have trouble just getting the system to post. I have tried everything that people suggested...tweaking voltages, changing BIOS settings, running everything at factory default, running everything at optimized settings, and so forth. Still no luck. Okay, so after I RMA'd my motherboard thinking that a RAM slot was defective, they returned it to me in the same condition. Frustrated, I continued attempting random module placements (mixing the sticks from the two kits in the channels). Eventually, I went in and amped up the DRAM voltage to 1.6 and one of the processor voltages (qpi?) to 1.15. I also changed the CAS settings to 8-8-8-24 for both channels. After a few restarts, VOILA, all 8GB showed up! I saved the BIOS settings since I knew those worked.

Then, just now, I had a system crash and now only 4GB will show up. I even tried reapplying the settings, still no luck. I got 8GB to show up again but then the computer won't finish the boot or it crashes again. I'm truly stumped. Here I thought I was in the clear. Prior to getting it to work for the time, I was about ready to sell my MB and RAM and eBay and start over new. This problem has been ongoing since this past spring.

Now I'm thinking that one of my RAM modules is the cause of problem. The thing is, I ran a complete memtest+ one stick at a time and it didn't find any problems. So is it my RAM or the motherboard? Should I just start over? Help!
    Last edited by splexin; 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM.

Send the memory in for new replacements and try a new kit.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X