Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gskill Ripjaw problem.

Hello everyone!

I just recently bought some GSkill Ripjaw memory and my system has been quite unstable since then. I know for a fact that the instability problem comes from the Ram because I keep getting memory error pop ups and my programs keep closing for no reason. I also cannot install correctly programs that I used to install without problems.

In games such as Oblivion and Battlefield Bad Company 2, I get some heavy lag and game cash for no reasons. My browsers keep closing too, my flash player crashes, the pages close for no reason, and etc. I tryed switching to another browser and its the same problem (Tryed I.E , Firefox, Chrome).

My entire computer is brand new (I assembled it myself with the help of the Computer store guys, and they told me everything is well installed) and I run on Windows 7 64bit.

At this point, I just don't have any money left and I can't buy new memory until like 3 months, which is a way too long wait. I heard on the INTERNET that this problem with the GSkill ripjaw memory happens quite often when peoples use it with the processor and the motherboard I have.

So I was just wondering if there is a kind of flash program that could fix my Gskill ripjaw memory or if there is anything I can do beside buying new ram...Btw, I know my english is quite broken, but as you may have noticed I am not english. So if you need any more clear details I'll try to explain the best I can.

This is my settings :

MB : Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    Chipset : AMD 785GX
    Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3200 MHz
    Physical memory : 4096 Mo (Gskill Ripjaw)
    Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    HD : WDC (640 Go)
    HD : WD (250 Go)
    DVD-Rom : DIR 1EN0DQ38 SCSI CdRom Device
    DVD-Rom : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW_GSA-H41N SCSI CdRom Device
    Monitor : ViewSonic VX2739wm - 27 pouces
    Internet card : RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    DirectX : Version 10.00
    Last edited by Laststand; 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM.

I was reading this thread

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2977

And I noticed that peoples have been complaining about the combination of AMD Phenom 2 and Gskill Ripjaw (I have both of these) and they say we need to change the mhz or the voltage in the bios... I have never done that before, so I am not quite sure what I am supposed to do as a noob who never over/down clocked... if the problem comes from the AMD processor, what am I suposed to do ??

Comment

Which memory kit do you have?

If it is DDR3-1600, set the frequency, timings, and voltage, then also increase the CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V and everything should be fine.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I think I do have the 1600 Kit, its the black ones, like on this picture :

http://i4memory.com/f83/g-skill-ripj...-report-19182/

Thank you for your quick answer, only problem is, I have no idea how to do what you just suggested me. I'm sorry to ask such thing, but would you mind telling me how to do that if its not too difficult/long ?

Thank you!
        Last edited by Laststand; 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Your motherboard chipset is 890GX, not 785GX, just FYI.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...pro_usb3/5.htm

You will need to begin from the AI Tweaker page, and make these changes:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
          DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
          DRAM Timing Configuration (submenu)
          CAS Latency 8
          RAS to CAS 8
          RAS PRE Time 8
          RAS ACT Time 24
          CPU/NB Offset Voltage +0.1V
          DRAM Voltage 1.60V

Once that is complete, everything should be fine.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Superb, thank you very much! I will try this out and tell you guys if it worked.

Btw, for your comment on my chipset, I did not write it down, I ran a PC Wizard scan and it endend up telling me this was my chipset
            Last edited by Laststand; 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Hey!

Well, I did everything you said and my games still crash... my system is still unstable

Comment

Test the memory one at a time to see if one may be defective. If you have memtest or Win7, run the diagnostics test to detect any errors.

You can also set memory to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24, to insure the CPU is not the culprit.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, so if I set it at DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 and I still get errors, it means my CPU is deffective ?

Comment

There were some AMD Phenom II X4 955 processors with bad memory controllers.

Do you happen to know whether you have a C2 or C3 revision?
                    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                    Intel i7 950
                    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                    Corsair TX950W
                    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Test them individually to see if one performs differently than the other.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by wevsspot View Post
                        There were some AMD Phenom II X4 955 processors with bad memory controllers.

Do you happen to know whether you have a C2 or C3 revision?
                        Mmmm, I do not know about this.

I will try the individual ram testing and come back with results

Comment

Same results, I still crash with rams even when I test em' in solo

Comment

It's highly unlikely - but possible that both sticks are bad. I imagine the GSkill tech will tell you to return them just in case.

But in the mean time, did you find out whether you have a C2 or C3 revision cpu?

If you want you can try this in the meantime;

Using the settings previously supplied by GSkill Tech for DDR 1333 speeds, increase DRAM Voltage to 1.62 and CPU/NB voltage +.2v
                            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                            Intel i7 950
                            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                            OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                            WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                            WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                            Corsair TX950W
                            Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Okay I have the Gigabyta 890GPA-UD3H with AMD Phenom II 965 BE having the same issues with stability, games and browsers crashing intermittently. Stock settings for my Ripjaws are DDR3-1333Mhz @ 9-9-9-24, if I tighten the timing and raise the voltage it should be more stable? I just ran Memtest86+ 4.10 and when I ran it with 4gb (2x2) it gave me about 800 errors, so I decided to run 1 stick at a time to see if one of them were bad but both sticks passed the Memtest separately.. I'm going to have to test out the new settings and then run the memtest again... Been troubleshooting my computer for the past few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X