Adding RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding RAM

Hello all, I have a quick question. I'll be adding 4gb more RAM to my rig in the near future and was wondering if I need to change any settings in the BIOS like voltage or timings.
    My current rig is:
    GSKill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    AMD Phenom II 965 125 Watt
    GA-MA790XT UD4P Gigabyte
    Windows7 Professional
    XFX HD5770
    Thanks in advance.

given your current setup, timings, speeds, and voltages of the RAM modules you have in now are stable and no errors in memtest, then I would recommend you slightly bump up the CPU-NB voltages a few notches to ensure stability of your added modules. However, HOWEVER, make sure it's the same kit you ordered originally to ensure consistency with your current setup. You should be fine.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
    ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
    16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
    EVGA G2 750W
    Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
    ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
    4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
    ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
    SeaSonic X-760 PSU
    G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Should I go 1 increment at a time in the NB voltage?
      Check this out:
      The voltage is 1.62 to the RAM now when set to auto in the BIOS. This seems to be a default with my Motherboard. If I set it to manual in the BIOS I still can't lower the voltage to 1.5 volts. The only adjustments available are to increase the voltage. The BIOS is the latest. I'm waiting for a reply from Gigabyte now. I hope this won't harm anything in the long run.

Comment

Mixednuts - on the other voltages mentioned by Onslaught -

Please be sure to recognize that he recommended a bump in your CPU/NB voltage. That is different than the regular Northbridge voltage.

The Northbridge voltage adjustment is for the chipset only. The CPU/NB voltage is for the communication lane between the cpu and northbridge.

Unless you are overclocking, you probably won't have to adjust the Northbridge voltage at all.

For the CPU/NB voltage I think that 1.26v is a fairly decent starting spot.

Regarding your DRAM voltage, unless Gigabyte gets a BIOS fix out quickly you'll need to decide whether you want a different board or a different memory kit. It isn't good for that kit of memory to run that far overvolted.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
        WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
        WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
        Corsair TX950W
        Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Oh ok I'll make sure I raise the CPU-NB. Didn't know there was a difference.
          As far as the DRAM voltage goes you would think they had all this worked out since the RAM is on Gigabytes qualified parts list. Oh well I'll just have to wait for their reply.
          Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Hey, no problem. I agree with you, you would think that they would have had it all worked out........................

Hopefully you'll get an answer soon.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

OK here's what I was told:
              GO into BIOS settings and manually set the voltage to the next higher voltage increment and that should set the voltage to it's default of 1.5v. I'll try it but sounds wacky to me.
              This is the answer I got when I called them this morning. Then I got email from their tech support and told me to set the BIOS to fail-safe defaults and then optimized defaults.
              I'll let ya know how it goes when I get my RAM back from RMA. Hopefully soon since GSkill received my problem sticks yesterday.

Comment

best of luck and keep us posted
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                Corsair TX950W

Comment