F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ on MSI 870-G45 Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ on MSI 870-G45 Motherboard

I have been having some issues with my F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ kit on my MSI 870-G45 motherboard. I am using an Athlon II X4 635 processor at stock settings.

Motherboard: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...=&prod_no=2070

I have the latest BIOS and all RAM settings are at Auto. Motherboard is running the RAM at 1333 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v.

I get intermittent errors on with testing programs. Memtest86+ and HCI memtest will give errors with either one or both sticks installed on the motherboard. Sometimes it finds the error on the first or second pass. Sometimes it has to be running many hours before it shows up.

Ran OCCT CPU test for 1 hour and that checked out OK.

Is there a compatibility issue with this motherboard or is it RMA time?

rogue,

you shouldn't be getting any errors in Memtest or HCI test at stock default settings. if you have time you should test each stick individually to see if you have a bad one.

or, you could just contact ask for an RMA.

i've used at least six kits of that same memory for personal and customer builds and they have all been plug-n-play pretty much.

Even though your particular motherboard isn't on GSkills "pre-qualified" list that seldom matters.
    Last edited by wevsspot; 08-27-2010, 05:11 AM.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

I did test each stick individually, and both produce errors in both tests. This is what gives me pause. I guess it is possible that both sticks are bad but it just seems unlikely.

This is 1600 RAM. At default, the motherboard runs it at 1333. But this shouldn't matter right? After all, you are pushing less than it is capable of.

Comment

You're right, running the memory at a frequency lower than it is specified for shouldn't affect whether you can pass Memtest or not. It is rather strange though to have two bad sticks of GSkill memory.

Is this a new build, or replacement memory for a build you already had?
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

New build. Everything seemed to be working fine until I decided to run memtest86+ and HCI memtest.

Specs:
          AMD Athlon II X4 635 CPU
          MSI 870-G45 AM3 Motherboard
          G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ)
          GIGABYTE 1GB GeForce GTX 460
          SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
          ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner
          OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ( +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V1@25A, +12V2@25A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2.5A )

I ran OCCT Power Supply and GPU test and everything seems OK. Never had Windows crash with a BSOD or anything like that.

Comment

Rogue,

Are you using the latest revision of Memtest 86+ (i think it is version 4.10 now)

You could also try reseating your RAM.

What slots are you memory modules installed in?
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

Yup. Latest revision.

I have tried both RAM sticks together and each individually, so I don't think seating is an issue. Even if I had them improperly seated I have swapped them out often.

When testing individually I have it in DIMM1. When using both together using DIMM1 and DIMM2. According to the manual these are the correct slots to use for dual channel mode.

Comment

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

or

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50V and CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

Sounds like your CPU is struggling to operate DDR3-1600, so the CPU-NB boost should fix that.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X