8gb installed, showing as 4gb usable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memtest

What are the results of running a complete Memtest for each set of 2x2GB?

If one set passes and one set fails simply return the defective set. I'm confused about what the problem is.

(again, always use Memtest to confirm RAM before installing Windows as corruption can occur with bad RAM. Windows has basically the same test but that's for confirming things are still okay later on.)

Comment

I stand corrected. I see that the voltage spec. is indeed 1.60v on the mfg. website.
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
      Corsair TX950W
      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

before buying the first kit, i did talked to someone from G.Skill by email and this person told me to use the XMP profile and everything should run fine.

So i really think the RAM is corrupted...

Comment

one good day i'll have to open my PC again and install them, disconnect my hard disk and run Memtest v4.10 from a cd/dvd...

but i'm pretty sure the RAM is corrupted, after seeing the RAM was being detected fully in Windows, later on it started having BSODs, video card didn't wanted to work properly, sound card didn't worked right and then Windows didn't wanted to boot up, only seeing a black screen with the little cursor (i bet it messed my Windows files really badly!), plus Sisoft Sandra wasn't giving me the correct informations about my RAM, not even detecting the manufacturer and the right kind of RAM, when the RAM is being detected fully in the BIOS and CPU-Z...

Comment

Send them in for new replacements and the new kit should work fine.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

ok, how do i proceed to RMA my RAM kit?

Also, i know that most companies ask for a tracking number or a delivery confirmation, but sometimes these options are very expensive.
              Last edited by RaptorZX3; 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

It's in the RMA section of the forums. Broken out by global locations so you'll need to pick the service center that takes care of the country you're in.

Tracking numbers and delivery confirmation are for your own protection.
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                Corsair TX950W
                Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

ok, i've sent them a RMA request. Now i just hope it won't cost an arm and leg to send with at least a delivery confirmation, as Canada Post tend to be expensive with any kind of extra service (tracking number, delivery confirmation, etc...) on your package...

Comment

Working...
                  X