G.Skill Ripjaws and Gigabyte Motherboard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Ripjaws and Gigabyte Motherboard question

Hi all, having recently decided it was time to upgrade my pc off i went to my local online store and bought myself the following:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB kit (2GB x 2) DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL8-8-8-21 MEMORY F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core 3.2GHz

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

Galaxy GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

as well as installing my existing copy of Windows Ultimate 64-bit version

I had things up and running for a few days but then started to get blue screen crashes with various errors being reported each time.

I can run the PC with one stick of ram in place but only in dimms 2/3/4 and cannot run 2 sticks in any combination and am left wondering if the problem lies with the motherboard or the ram settings (or indeed both in that they are completely incompatible!)

I am able to boot to memtest86 with memory in dual channel configuration and this came back with no errors after 6 passes.

Just wondering what the best settings are for this combination to keep things stable?

edit:

In addition to the information above,
    here's what I've tried so far, with lots of help from dave76!!

Had minidump files analyzed, pointed to hardware issues.

Updated BIOS to F3A.

Bumped the CPU NB VID Control, added +0.1v.

When starting, at post screen emits 3 long beeps, boots to windows starting then freezes.
    Problem only occurs with 2 sticks of ram, all is fine with just the one.

Bumped the DRAM voltage from 1.5v, to 1.54v, it started with both ram cards in, albeit briefly.
    No bsod but pc keeps restarting after 30-60 seconds.

Bumped voltage to 1.6, ran memtest86 with 6 passes and no faults, seemed to be running stable.
    After coming home from work, switched on, all ok for a few minutes then i got constant reboots.

Bumped the voltage to 1.65, get a few reboots then 3 long beeps then reboots and keeps on that cycle.

Could this be an issue with my Coolermaster RS-520W PSU?

Still can't get a single card to run in slot 1.

Appreciate any help with the settings or other suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by flubert; 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM.

No, the motherboard is apparently defective. Swap that out and problems should be gone.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

thanks, will get right onto it

Comment

Just out of interest, once i have the new motherboard what would the optimum BIOS settings be for this configuration? Should i run it as installed or make some changes?
        thanks
        Last edited by flubert; 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Set frequency, timings, and voltage. That should be good enough. The timings alone should be enough, since the frequency and voltage are default, but set them anyway just to be certain.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

hello again, so i returned all compnents to the shop for testing and they replaced the motherboard and the cpu, and did have things running reasonably stable but with occasional freezes.
            over the last week i have again been having bsod's with multiple error codes. i again ran memtest86+ with the results after 12 passes overnight showing 295680 errors!!
            is this an abnormal number of faults or is it stuck on one and keeps reporting the same?
            whatever the reason i assume its safe to say i need to rma the ram?
            thanks

Comment

Seems so, go ahead and do that to try a new kit.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X