Getting Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD running @ 2000mhz with 21.0 cpu ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD running @ 2000mhz with 21.0 cpu ratio

This is my first post, and I tried to search for this, but didn't have luck finding the answer to my specific question. I have an i7 930, Asus P6X58D-E mobo, with 3x2GB G-Skill Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD.

When I first set up the system, it was very easy to use XMP to overclock the memory to 2000mhz and 9-9-9-24. However, when I overclocked the i7 930 to 4.0Ghz, I had to chance the CPU ratio to 21.0 which changed my memory settings. The DRAM mhz is 1531 now I think, and the next setting is 19xx (off the top of my head). I have lowered the latencies down to 7-7-6-24 1T. I've seen posts where you say it's possible to go lower by raising the voltage, but I haven't been able to boot up past this point. I would love to get this RAM back to running at 2000mhz with the lowest possible latency. Is this possible?

If there is a previous post somewhere with step by step instructions, if you point me to it, it'd be much appreciated. There must be thousands of people with this same set up, but I haven't been able to find detailed directions to do this. I know latency is the most important hing, but I'd love to get these sticks running at their full potential.

P.S. I'd love to give you all the settings of my mobo in detail, but I'm at work...

Your settings should look roughly like this:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting - 20
    Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
    BCLK Frequency - 200
    DRAM Frequency - DDR3-2000
    UCLK Frequency - 4000MHz
    QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
    CAS Latency - 9
    tRCD - 9
    tRP - 9
    tRAS - 24
    Command Rate - 2N

CPU Voltage - 1.45V?
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.60V
    DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64V

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

When I tried going to 1.6 QPI/DRAM voltage, it automatically bumps it up to 1.61. Is that normal? Also, I want to lower the latencies...can that be done with this set up @ 2000mhz? And is this set up better than where I'm currently at? (7-7-6-24 1T with the lower mhz?) Will using your AI Tweak settings lower my CPU overclock?
      Last edited by burn365; 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Yes, that is normal, what you set it at may not always be what it is actually operating at. (yea, tricky)

The settings above are for DDR3-2000 4.0GHz, so it should be close to what you're currently running.

This kit is capable of DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21 or DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24. So you pick one, and then lower latency as low as you can and also find the lowest stable values for voltages.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'll run some benches for both, and see which one is better. I'm planning to get the CPU to 4.2Ghz, so I may have to play with the settings a little more. If I don't increase the ratio just the Bclk, I can just use your settings still, right?

Comment

What are you using right now?

It doesn't matter what ratio or BCLK you use, a certain target frequency will require a certain voltage.

167 x 12 = DDR3-2000 needs the same voltage as 200 x 10 = DDR3-2000.

BCLK helps you fine tune the frequency in smaller increments than the CPU Ratio, so raising the BCLK may not immediately affect anything, but at one point, you will need to adjust voltage since it is out of the proper range.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm currently stable at 4.0Ghz, but when I get home from work I'm going to try to get the CPU to 4.2Ghz. Then get the RAM to 2000mhz with 9-9-9-24 then lower from there. Once I find a good lower latency, I think I'll leave things alone for a while after that!
              Last edited by burn365; 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

BCLK 220 x 20 or 200 x 21

Not all CPUs can do BCLK 220, so you may need to raise the CPU Ratio. Also BCLK 220 x 10 gives you DDR3-2200, so raising CPU Ratio may be a better idea to reach 4.20GHz.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

when you change the bclk or the cpu multiplier it changes the qpi link speed, to a level past the recommended i7-930 spec.

i have the ud9 mobo, with intel stock cooling on the i7, and when i try to run the ram at the higher spec, the processor gets to like 54 degrees celcius idle, and when i run prime95 on it, it gets to a steady 80+
                  lol

I am thinking I will have to purchase a different cooling system.
                  any suggestions?

Comment

So I got it running at 1603mhz, with 7-7-7-21-2T with the CPU at 4.2Ghz. And I'm happy with it. Never tried the 2000Mhz setting and 4.2. Everyones saying the difference in Mhz isn't worth the higher latency. And as for coolers, I'm using ProlimaTech MegaNelahem....it's been keeping my i7 in the 40-50 range.

Comment

Yes, anything above DDR3-1333 is beyond Intel spec. QPI Link Speed, voltages, all will go beyond Intel spec as you overclock or use high frequency memory. DDR3-2000+ or 4 modules DDR3-1600+, I always suggest a CPU cooler. They are fairly cheap, considering what they do for you.

Choosing a CPU cooler, it depends how much space you have or want. You can go with a huge one like burn365, Thermalright Ultra is what I use, or you can go with something like the Corsair H50 (water cooled) which has gotten good reviews.

With CPU at 4.2GHz, DDR3-1600 CL7 is the perfect spot. DDR3-2000 just becomes too stressful, no real need to MAX to the point of instability. As far as differences in overall "speed", it's really not much anyway for you to notice.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X