Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPI/DRAM Core Voltage setting?

Greetings!

I have begun tweaking a new build. First thing I did was set the G.SKILL RAM to X.M.P.. That worked perfectly. The RAM showed up as DDR3 1600 CAS7 at 1.5v, as advertised. However, in the process QPI/DRAM Core Voltage was changed to 1.4v and shown in purple. I checked to motherboard manual and found that purple is the next-to-highest risk level. What's more, 1.4v is the extreme high end of purple. Any higher and I'd be in the red.

I'm concerned about stability (though the X.M.P. settings booted into Windows7 just fine and allowed me to run several SiSoft Sandra RAM tests... nice improvement!) and possible component damage, so reverted to AUTO settings (which put my RAM back to DDR3 1066) for the time being.

What is the general consensus of those using my motherboard/ram/CPU combo for any length of time? Will QPI/DRAM Core Voltage set to 1.4v be safe and reliable? Or should I use lower voltage with correspondingly loosened RAM specs (maybe CAS8 or a lower DDR3 speed)? Basically, any input on this matter is much appreciated.

COMPONENTS that might come in to play.
    • CPU: Intel i7-930 (stock for now, but plan to mildly overclock at some point).
    • CPU Cooler: Corsair water-cooling unit.
    • Motherboard: ASUS P6C58D-E.
    • RAM: G.SKill DDR3 1600 CAS 7 1.5v (F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI).
    • GPU: nVidia GTX 470.
    • PSU: Corsair 950TX.
    • CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 (roomy with lots of fans).
    • HD: WD 1tb SATA 6.0Gb/s (second drive (3.0Gb/s) to be transferred later on).
    • DVD-burner.

Thanks in advance!
    -Decrepit-

The QPI/DRAM Core Voltage at 1.40V is very normal. Especially if you have a water cooling unit, everything will be just fine. It is safe, many people have it running 1.60V, and don't seem to have a problem.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X