• Show
Clear All

• F#-12800cl9d-4gbnq + ga-ma790gpt-ud3h + bsod

My system consists of:

GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Motherboard
    8 GB RAM-two sets of G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 Stepping 3, Revision RB-C3
    WIN7 x64

Purchased March 24, 2010 and initially set up with 4 GB RAM and WinXP x32. There were no problems with initial setup.

System upgraded to 8 GB RAM and WIN7 x64 in July 2010. System set up using defaults?no overclocking. Problems began and the info below summarizes what I have found.

System is stable with 4 GB RAM installed?either pair in either slots. Problems occur when 8GB of Ram is installed--system becomes unstable. Initially this manifested with unpredictable BSOD-Debugging was not helpful with varying causes suggested but hardware issues typically in the mix. Running verifier.exe did not identify any driver issues.

Problem has become more severe?now the system will not boot up with 8 GB RAM installed. Still works with 4 GB.

Memory passes mem86+ testing?with 8GB installed or with 4 GB (either pair) installed.

I also ran Prime95 (blended) for about 30 minutes?CPU registered 100% with no indication of problems.

With 8 GB RAM installed and based on some posts here I tried raising the voltage for RAM to 1.65 (+.05) and the voltage for NB (+.1). System will still not boot?BSOD shortly after the Win7 balls appear on screen and before log in?most times no dump file is created. One time a dump file was created and it is available if requested?it indicates memory corruption.

With MB default settings and 4 GB Memory installed system boots up and runs without problems.

Any suggestions as to further testing or root cause greatly appreciated!

Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks--that seems to have resolved my problem.

Comment

Your CPU struggles with 8GB at DDR3-1600. It is very common, so reducing the frequency makes it less stressful. The timings help make up for the loss in frequency, so essentially everything is running to speed.

Enjoy!

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

What is interesting is that the default settings on my motherboard were 1.6 volts (cannot be set lower), 1333 (NOT 1600), and 9-9-9-24 and it was with those settings it had problems. The only thing I changed in response to your suggestion was to set 8-8-8-24.

In any event it continues to work without problems!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X