F3-12800CL8D problem with Radeon 5870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL8D problem with Radeon 5870

I'm using 4GB of F3-12800CL8D in my system (specs in my signature), and I've been experiencing serious instability with my Radeon 5870 for months. After going through one RMA with XFX, unfortunately, I think I've narrowed the problems down to my RAM. When my multiplier is set for the RAM to run at 1600, my card experiences display driver crashes every 30 minutes or so. When I drop my multiplier by one and run my RAM at a slower speed, my card is 100% stable, with no crashes at all.

I should have experimented with the RAM sooner, because I discovered correlations between the videocard and the RAM performance way back in December. When I first installed the RAM, my mobo chose conservative timings, and my display driver crashed every 3-5 minutes; when I set my RAM to SPD (8-8-8-24 @ 1600), those crashes became much less frequent (more like every 20-30 minutes). I was confused by the fact that this RAM has passed memtest from the beginning, however, so I assumed there was nothing wrong with it.

I've tried overvolting the RAM and overvolting the PCH, and neither solved the continued crashes with my Radeon 5870. The only total solution has been lowering the multiplier on the RAM.

Since I paid for 8-8-8-24 @ 1600, I'm hoping that you could offer some help with other settings that I can change or experiment with, in order to get the same video stability at 1600 that I already get at the lower multiplier. Any ideas?
    Intel Core i5 750
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
    4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (F3-12800CL8D)
    XFX Radeon 5870
    HT Omega Claro

What slots do you have them installed in? Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? You should have no problems with this kit. Try raising the QPI/VTT Voltage slightly to ~1.20V or so to see if that will stabilize it.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

The RAM is installed in slots 1 and 3, but I had the same issues when I tried 2 and 4.

I raised QPI to 1.21 and returned the multiplier to 10, but it didn't help. The only thing that gets me stability with my videocard is dropping my multiplier to 8.0, giving a RAM speed of 1280 rather than 1600.
      Intel Core i5 750
      Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
      XFX Radeon 5870
      HT Omega Claro

Comment

I forgot to answer your other question - yes, all my drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Are there any other settings I should try at 1600? Right now it looks like 1600 is just not stable, even with overvolting RAM, QPI, and PCH.
        Intel Core i5 750
        Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
        XFX Radeon 5870
        HT Omega Claro

Comment

Post screen shots of your BIOS and I can see if anything is detected incorrectly, otherwise, send them in for new replacements to see if the new set works better.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - I've been out of town quite a bit.

The problem continues, where I encounter a few (very rare) display driver crashes when my memory is set at 1280 - but almost constant display driver crashes when my memory is set at 1600. I'm attaching shots of my BIOS as currently set (@1280):

I've tried raising DDR and QPI voltage slightly, but neither has fixed the issue even @ 1280.
            Intel Core i5 750
            Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
            XFX Radeon 5870
            HT Omega Claro

Comment

Load BIOS defaults, enable XMP, then simply test each module to see if one is defective.

If so, send them in for new replacements and the new kit should work better.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X