Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unable to run dual channel. Random BSOD, Other problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to run dual channel. Random BSOD, Other problems.

Hello all, I am new here, but I will try to explain my problem as best as I can.

I have recently put together a system using the following components:
    Asus M4N98TD EVO Motherboard
    gskill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB DDR3 1600) (listed on the mobo QVL)
    AMD Phenom II 965 BE
    EVGA GTX260
    Windows pro 7 64bit

Ever since I assembled this system last week, I have been unable to run the Ram in dual channel. Everytime I run both sticks I am getting Bad_Pool_Header, PFN List Corrupt, Memory management etc. errors almost immediately.

I have run windows memory diagnostic with both sticks and it freezes on first pass on extended test at 21%
    Running memtest 86+ will display lots of errors with dual channel operation as well.

However, when I am running just one stick of ram in any slot, I can run memtest and windows memory diagnostic, and the OS all night long with no errors whatsoever. And I haven't even tried to run these sticks any higher than 1333 speed. I tried adjusting the ram timings and voltages manually to 1.6v at 9-9-9-24-4-33-10-5 to no avail.

Another funny thing is when running memtest with one stick in slot a1 or a2 (first black and blue) memtest says it is a speed of ddr 1333, but in b1 or b2, the detected speed is ddr 400.

Any ideas on what the hell is wrong? I can't tell if it is a ram problem, cpu memory controller problem, motherboard problem, or maybe there is something I am simply missing on my adjustments. I would certainly appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,
    Jason

P.S. By the way, I have already updated the BIOS to the current version and am using the current NVIDIA driver for the GPU. Also, sometimes if the system has been on for a long time, it will eventually become a bit more stable running two sticks (as in it may run for a little while without BSOD). But after leaving it off for a few hours It immediately becomes unstable upon startup.
    Last edited by JRevenant; 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM.

same problem here. as described in my reply http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5533&page=2

Hope somebody can answer this.

Comment

Send the memory in for new replacements to see how the new set works. If you continue to have issues, then you may need to exchange the motherboard.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I had exactly the same problem you described. I have spent weeks trouble-shooting trying every combination of speed, timing CPU & NB voltages, one stick of ram, two sticks etc but to no avail.

Fortunately, I got the opportunity to test the RAM in another sytem (Dell Opti 780). I ran Prime95 and memtest for over an hour each without any errors in dual channel. Not a conclusive test but a pretty good indicator that the RAM was fine and the problem must be elsewhere.

When it came to putting the RAM back in to my system, I gave the gold edge connectors a quick rub with a pencil eraser ( an old trick from back in the day) and had a final go at dual channel. Guess what? I have been running in dual channel at 16000 8-8-8-24-34-1N for a week now without a single BSOD!

I cannot explain how or why my system is working again but it is. There were only three things that occured inbetween my system not working and working: -

1. Removed RAM from my system for 12 hours - maybe this allowed a cap or something to discharge on the motherboard?

2. Ran the RAM at SPD speeds/timings on another rig - is any of the SPD data area writable?

3. Rubbed the edge connectors of the RAM with a pencil eraser - the connectors did not looked tarnished at a glance and the RAM is only 8 months old but there did appear to be a subtle difference when compared to the stick that I had not rubbed yet.

I don't know of any of the above will help you as it all sounds pretty incredible but, seriously, this has fixed my problem and I haven't had a single blip in dual channel since.

Comment

The good ol' eraser trick sure does still work. That may have solved your problem.

The SPD data is writeable/re-writeable.

Glad to hear all is working fine now.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X