• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with my computer

Hello!

I upgraded my computer around 6/8 months ago with these:

Windows XP Pro
    Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (Bios F7)
    XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ (Catalyst version 10.5)
    RAM G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM Ripjaws PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ
    Corsair PSU 650W

Since I bought a new SATA hard disk to replace my first IE hard disk, I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro. I started to have problems with it right away. Whenever I'd play videos at full screen it'd make my computer freeze per exemple. Apps would crash giving me memory problem message. I'd get the blue screen sometimes too. When I checked my computer using various apps (SpeedFan, CPU-Z, CrystalDiskInfo, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, PC Wizard, Speccy), I could see my graphic card temperature was really high, around 60/65C.

Since I had trouble once with a overheating graphic card which made my apps crash constantly, I thought at first the problems I was having were due to my overheating graphic card. I could see in Catalyst the fan was at 20% but I could not access anything to change it and make it higher.

Up until I found AMD OverDrive on ATI website, because I read somewhere we could change manually with this the fan and overclock the card, but my interest here is solely the speed of the fan. So I installed the application, accessed finally the fan through Catalyst and I put it at 100%. The temperature went from 60/62 C to 37/40 C.

So I thought I was done. But my apps keep on crashing anyway giving me memory messages again and I still cannot watch anything full screen without making the computer freeze. So now I'm thinking about the RAM.

So yesterday, I used Windows Memory Diagnostic to test my RAM and it told me there is no error. So I try this time with Memtest86 and it gives me no error again. So for last I tried with DocMemory but this one keeps freezing at 25% and each time I reboot with it it reduces the number of error.

So now I'm not so sure it's the RAM, but if it's not the RAM I have no idea what it could be.

I hope you will be able to provide me with some answers.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I intend to get Windows 7 next month probably, think going Windows 7 will resolve some problems? I also intend to get 4 Gig more RAM too.
    Last edited by Nothingness; 06-27-2010, 01:14 PM.

Try testing them one at a time. Also, make sure the timings are manually set in BIOS.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Try testing them one at a time. Also, make sure the timings are manually set in BIOS.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Unfortunatly, due to my disabilities, testing the memory by taking out each slot and check them out is impossible for me, hence why I used three apps to test the RAM instead. Even if I were to somehow succeed to take out the RAM, there is no guaranty I'd be able to put it back in. You could still give me the right settings for the bios, I can do that part.
      Last edited by Nothingness; 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1333
        DRAM Timings - tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24
        DRAM Voltage - 1.50V

As long as these are configured, you should have no problems at all. Sounds like you may have one bad stick.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1333
          DRAM Timings - tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24
          DRAM Voltage - 1.50V

As long as these are configured, you should have no problems at all. Sounds like you may have one bad stick.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

I found the DRAM Frequency and the DRAM Voltage and they're both okay.

In the other hand, I couldn't find the DRAM Timings in the bios, you should give me more details.

if I indeed have a faulty stick, do I get to have them replaced?

Comment

Absolutely, we can always have a defective module replaced.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

The timings are under the "DRAM Configuration" sub-menu.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK, like I said, I'm planning to buy 4 Gig of RAM more. I could get someone to install them and I check the RAM too at the same time. But what is there is a bad RAM in my old set of RAM and a bad one from my new set of RAM, what do I do?

Comment

Test them one at a time to see which may be causing the problem.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, I got the new set of RAM today. Alas, there is a faulty RAM on the old set and a faulty one too on the new one . That was my worst fear, I've been worrying a lot about that .

Comment

Can I keep the two RAMs that work and send the two faulty ones?

Comment

Yes, sorry about that, that is very odd.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X