X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use EasyTune6 to set BIOS for Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD and GA-X58A-UD3R

G-SKILL:
    i7-930 , GA-x58a-ud3r rev.1 BIOS F5 , Win7 64 bit

I bought the Trident because of the DDR3-2000 speed. For the last two weeks I have trying to set up the mobo so that it can recognize the memory. I have searched forums from extremesys, overclocker, even Gskill, but the mobo just either would not post, or would not reboot after a while. During this time I have learned more about overclocking than I could understand. Despite all the BIOS configuration and settings etc, I was getting nowhere.

So my search is for a KISS approach, keep it simple and straightforward. I know that Gigabyte mobo comes with a utility program called EasyTune-6, it allows users to overclock the system without getting into the technical stuff. I figured that Gigabyte must tweak this software in such a way that hopefully it will not crash its own mobo. So I left the BIOS post screen alone. Load up EasyTune-6 and select Quick Boost #2 (under "Tuner" tab). Reboot. Lo and Behold! Computer posted without problem, runs stable and no crash.

Again I went into both CPUZ and EasyTune. (after I set: Control Panel>System Security>Power Option>High Performance). Both programs showed: CPU~/=3300 BCLK=150 Multiplier=22.
    But the DRAM memory was still listed as 1200.

Then I went into Easy-Tune again and under (Tuner>advance>Frequency), I adjust Memory to 1800. then I reboot again.

Now CPU~3300, BCLK=150, Multiplier=22, DRAM=900. The DRAM is under 1000, within the speed of DDR3-2000.

I guess the whole logic is that one cannot increase the DRAM memory without affecting the CPU,UnCore and QPI frequency as they are all interrelated. According to what I have read and hopefully understand is that:
    DRAM frequency : UnCore frequency =/> 1 : 2 up to 1: 3.
    UnCore frequency: QPI frequency =/> 1 : 1
    DRAM : UnCore : QPI 1X : 3X : 3X

I think EasyTune automatically sets UnCore clock ratio=18, SPD=12
    Therefore to achieve DRAM speed close to DDR3-2000, it would roughly looks like this:
    DRAM : UnCore = 900 : >/= 2700 = 1: 3
    Uncore : QPI = 2700 : >/= 2700 = 1 : 1

In CPU-Z, my readings are: DRAM=900, QPI = 2699 . So stability is maintained.

If we were to increase DRAM speed close to 1000, the only way we can do it is to increase BCLK to 160, then Uncore would have to be 3000. But Uncore at x18 would only be 2880 ( 160 x18=2880). Any further increase in BCLK (overclocking to Boost #3) would result in DRAM speed exceeding 1000.

My computer is now running without problem. By using this approach, I don't have to get into BIOS/MIT setup and try to adjust any settings such as voltage and timings, things that I am don't fully understand. I just want to use my computer.

I would like to share this in the forum and any feedback is appreciated.

Follow up on setting F3-16000 memory on GA-x58a-ud3r

G-Skill:

This is an update of my previous post. This time I use EasyTune-6, Quick Boost #3. I did manage to increase the CPU frequency to 3.5 GHz ( ~3520 ). After Restart, I went back in ET-6 and change the Memory to 1920 Mhz.

The Computer reboots Ok and loads into Windows 7 with no problem. Everything runs so much faster, and very stable. Repeated shut down and start up seems to make the booting faster.

However, when I look at the Quick Summary in ET-6, I noticed the DRAM voltage was 1.776v, CPU voltage was 1.360v. The DRAM voltage was obviously much higher than G-Skill's recommendation of 1.60v.

I tried to changed the DRAM voltage to 1.60v in ET-6, advance section. But after restart, it would still show up as 1.776v. It does not matter whether I am using Quick Boost #2 or #3, As soon as I adjust the Memory in ET-6, the DRAM voltage increases.

So I went back to the Basic aand tried to use the same number in ET-6 to set the BIOS-MIT. No luck at all, the computer went into a loop. I had to reset the CMOS.

Now, It got me thinking. If I just set the DRAM voltage in MIT, and leave everthing else as optimal default, The MIT voltage setting might take precedent over ET-6. Who knows?

So I went ahead, set DRAM voltage=1.60v in MIT. Just for the sake of scientific curiosity. OMG, it showed up in ET-6 as 1.60v.

I was able to re-do Quick Boost #2, and #3, reset the Memory to 1800 and 1920 Mhz. OMG, ET-6 still showed DRAM voltage at 1.584, CPU voltage= 1.360v.

My Computer is running fine, It has turn on and off quite a few time, and left running for the whole day. No looping or post problem so far. The CPU temp is around 50C. The NB bridge heatsink is just luke warm ( because I had an extra fan blowing on top of it). I am still using the stock fan from the retail box.

I read in forums that other users have tried ET-6. But this seems the only way I can set DRAM speed close to 2000 Mhz without crashing my computer. I don't know if some one else has tried this approach before.

is

Comment

please No advertisement

To: Gskill Tech:

Please help me to block advertisement to my thread. That's not what I want to do in a forum.

I went to control panel and could not find a way to block unsolicited Ads.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X