Fastest Memory for MSI Big Bang XPower MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest Memory for MSI Big Bang XPower MB

I am currently in the process of ordering a system to be built using the MSI Big Bang XPower motherboard and the MSI 5870 Lightning video card. According to MSI's documentation, this motherboard is rated for DDR3 2133 memory. I am thinking about using G Skill DDR3 2200 memory. A junior sales rep for an on-line store, who I probably don't respect a whole lot, said that they checked with MSI and they said the 2200 memory would not work.

I was planning on installing 6GB, even though NewEgg only sells it in chunks of 4. So, does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the 2200 memory will work with this motherboard? Also, if I install 8GB, will that affect the speed of the memory? Do I have to install 6, 9, or 12 gig of memory to obtain the best performance?

It will work, just requires a lot of CPU VTT or QPI Voltage (memory controller voltage). 8GB will not affect speed, it will just need more memory controller voltage. You will want to use 3 sticks or 6 sticks for optimum performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-374-_-Product

I would suggest you jump on this kit. Latest, only 5 available for now, so they'll probably be gone by this week when people see them. No pictures, but you can look on our webpage.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X