Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH and GA-P55A-UD4P Rev 1.0 Bios F10 Random Reboots

Hi there,

I have searched the forum for specific information for my products already but couldnt find anything specific.

I have recently purchased the following setup and have been running ubuntu 10.04 Lucid for about a week now but with random reboots every day. Motherboard just shuts down and restarts without any reason. This has happened every hour, twice an hour, once every 4 hours, etc.

My rig is,

i7 875k (not overclocked)
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P bios F10
    GSKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH (Ripjaws black)
    ASUS Nvidia 8400GS

I started with optimized defaults (which set the memory at CL 9-9-9-24 @1333, 1.56V, but random reboots. I then manually set the timings and multiplier, 7-7-7-24 @ 12x1333Mhz = 1600MhZ, and 1.6V DRAM in bios (as per RAM spec), but still random reboots. I then went back to auto timings and voltages and selected XMP profile 1 which detected the right timings and clock speed of 1600mHz. I left the voltage on Auto, and the motherboard set to 1.568V, but random reboots. Then I kept the XMP profile and manually set the voltage to 1.6V, but still random reboots.

I am now running with the following options

for CPU:
    options and voltages set to auto (not changed from "optimized defaults")

for Memory:
    memory set to xmp profile 1, but I now upped my DRAM voltage to 1.64V (motherboard is actually showing 1.632 or 1.634V (cant remember). I have been running for 6 hours now and no reboots.

why?

We will see if things stay stable but please inform me of the settings I should be using for CPU options/voltages and RAM in my bios. I have read some things about turbo and EIST options but am not sure.

I also wouldnt mind if with the answers there was some technical explanation. I always like to actually understand what is going on to better help me troubleshoot my systems in the future.

I have seen many excellent responses from GSKILL people on this forum and am looking for the same help here before I RMA the units (I really dont think I need to since Memtest runs fine for hours and hours).

Help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Simeone

If it is stable at 1.64V, most likely the motherboard is setting memory controller voltage too high and the memory voltage needs to be higher to match.

The only other possibility is the memory just needs more voltage to operate at spec.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the quick explanation. Much appreciated.

Is this why when I set it manually to 1.64V it actually shows in the bios 1.634V not 1.64V exactly?

I am on 8 hours and counting without any reboots.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Comment

Well, whatever you have it set at, may not actually be the voltage it is operating at. So yea, apparently it is using roughly 1.634V. Even that value is not 100% accurate. But, as long as your system is stable, you should be fine. The memory is fully capable of more voltage.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X