Is my RAM faulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my RAM faulty?

I currently have a set of [Ripjaws] F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM (2Gx2). I've been getting random BSODs, application crashes, and Windows service crashes.

My BSODs have been all been either MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors, BAD_POOL_HEADER errors, or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA errors.

After the BSODs, doing a reset and running Memtest, it would show me there are errors in the RAM. However, if I were to run Memtest from a cold boot or if I were to decide to run a Memtest randomly, no errors would show up after running the full set of tests.

Because of the outcomes from the Memtest, I don't know if my RAM is faulty or not.

I've posted an image of a Memtest I ran about a week ago after a BSOD.

Manually set all the memory settings in BIOS, then test one stick at at time to see if one behaves differently than the other.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi, so after a month or so of testing, I've got some results.

I did as you asked and changed the timings in the BIOS and used one stick at a time. I also went further in my testing by using the single stick in the two open slots the motherboard manual recommends that I use if I were to use one stick (slots 1 and 3).

So with the first stick, I used it in slot 1 for one week and had no blue screens relating to memory issues. The following week I swapped the same stick over to slot 3 and again, no blue screens.

The second stick, I placed it in slot 1 and as I boot into Windows I noticed problems with Windows loading processes and then it blue screened. I ran a memtest right after and there were plenty of errors (as shown in the image below).

Seeing as how it was usable in slot 1, I immediately moved it into slot 3. In slot 3 it seemed more stable for some reason. It took almost a week before it had a memory related blue screen and when I ran memtest did I see errors (as shown in the image below).

So is it safe to assume that the second stick is faulty?

Comment

Seems so, send it in for a new replacement and that should solve the problem.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X