Crosshair IV and Gskill Flare compatibilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosshair IV and Gskill Flare compatibilty

I'm about to pull the trigger on an ASUS Crosshair IV and X4 965BE setup on Newegg and I have a question regarding 8GB DDR3 1600.

I want to run 4x2GB 7-7-7 at a low voltage and I see the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH is on the QVL for 4 DIMMs so I'm ready to buy them, however, I really like the look of the Gskill Flares on the Crosshair and would rather them as long as they work. They claim compatibility with it seems like every ASUS EXCEPT the Crosshair so I'm hesitant to try them.

Are any of the Flare 1800/2000 speed models able to reach at least CL7 1600 (maybe even 1T) with an X4? or X6?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

I want to know the same question. I was told the flares were for AMD, but nothing about six core only. I am pretty sure it will work with the quad cores also. I see why not, esp. on the Crosshair 4.

I have read that the Flares on going to be added to the Crosshair 4's QVL list soon, so if this is true it shouldn't be chip exclusive, it should be all AM3. I know it was built around the X6's that just means they have tested and for sure it works. So at this point I am going to be buying soon and I plan on getting the flare LAT=7 2000 with the 955 and CH4 and CM hyper 212+, so I hope everything goes fine!!!!! and hopefully someone from g.skill can clear things up.

Comment

Yes, they are surely compatible, but it is just a matter of reaching the full specifications. Like if you purchase the DDR3-2000 CL7, you can't expect the 965BE to support that. But if you want to downclock to DDR3-1600 CL7 or CL8, then it would surely have no problems.

Most of the time, the reasons for "For X6 CPUs, For Intel P55" and all those notifications are simply because of operating full spec. Most of the time the memory will work, just may not at the full spec as the memory may be better than what your hardware can operate.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

That certainly clears things up. Thank you very much for sharing your time and knowledge.

I'm ordering 2 sets of the Flare 1800 CL7s today!

Comment

Thats funny cause thats what I plan on getting. Cause you can get the low latency
          and lower timings at 1800, or you pay 189 for the 2000 version, so unless you
          want a 2000 lat 9 @9-9-9-24 for just a little more.

Anyways I might move things around so I can afford the 2000.
          But I switched from the 965 to 1055, I found a review which they oc'ed both of them
          to 4.0 and showed the results and the 1055 wins hands down on every test besides like 1.

Plus the 965 will be out of date in a year or two, while the 1055 will have at least an extra year or two on it. Heres my moto "Just because things don't use it now, doesn't mean in a year they won't". Esp. if you want your rig to last more than 2-3 years.

Comment

I was planning on picking up 2 sets of this RAM with a Crosshair IV ...oh and a AMD X6 CPU. I was wondering if there is a trick to running 8GB with timings of 7-9-7-24-2N @ 2000? I've had issues in the past with trying to run 8GB with AMD CPUs with various types of memory.

Comment

Oh yea, it's going to be tricky. You'll need to do a lot of tweaking and finding the precise voltages it will need. The BIOS is probably a little pre-mature as well, so the upcoming BIOS should make it easier.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

In general I don't use all the dimms, I usually try and get two 4gbs in dual mode. But since I don't have 300+ dollars I will get them flares. I think they are going to rock my socks off and I am hoping to get the 2000 Lat=7

I was thinking about using my 212+ in an up and down config. so I could push more air upwards out my HAF-X, but I have a feeling I wont be able to with the flares, but I am positive that I should be able to install them normally facing front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Oh yea, it's going to be tricky. You'll need to do a lot of tweaking and finding the precise voltages it will need. The BIOS is probably a little pre-mature as well, so the upcoming BIOS should make it easier.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Well, I've been able to get 8GB to run in single channel, just not in dual channel. Any suggestions?

Comment

Are you able to get 4GB in dual channel?

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I can get dual-channel to work fine.

Comment

So... there is no problem? I'm confused.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          So... there is no problem? I'm confused.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Sorry. No Issue. I was just thinking of picking up this memory and was expressing concern over trying to run 8GB (2 2x2GB) of memory in the past and having issues doing that. Just what to know if anyone has tried that with this memory before I pick it up.
                          Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

PhenomII and Gskill mem

Just never pair the gskill ripjaws at anything over 1600mhz with any AMD cpu. I have the Phenom II 965 C3 and I have returned my second set now of the Ripjaws at 2000mhz. B4 I bought them the tech support was so sure that they would be great for my setup because they had nothing else really to offer for amd. Then I bought the 1090T and I have sent my second faulty Ripjaws in . They were working fine and then i restarted my computer and it just wouldn't boot so I did some troublshooting and the one stick was saying that it was 512mb when it was a 2gb stick. Either stick would work alone but not together. I was having crashes all the time b4 they went kaput but i was on my second set and thought it wouldn't be faulty. So i bought new PSU from OCZ 850W to ABS DARK BERET 1000W. AMD 965BE C3 to the 1090TBE . It was always during gaming so of course i thought it was my 2xATI 4580's. I thought either not clean enough power or faulty so I bought 2x MSI 5770 HAWKS. These cards to would crash when gaming. But low and behold when the RAM did go I put in some Ram OCZ Intel version 1600mhz. only one stick because i only have one here. I haven't had a problem since. I was told that my RMA would be sent to me with Flares instead of Ripjaws at 2000mhz. I am hoping this is the case. And the 1055 is nowhere near the 1090T. I have mine at 4000mhz with Turbo off and only 1.4V the same that the turbo cores use when they click in. I can run stable at 4.2 at 1.42 V completely without even trying to tweak yet.Also the mem contoroller in the 1090T and 1055 is so much better then with the C3 stepping x4 phenomII . I havne't even tried hard to get it high but its stable as can be at 2800MHZ. I am an avid overclocker. I can't wait to see what I can get this tthing up to when I get my RMA back and my setup back up and running I have in my older MB untill my RMA from gskill returns any day. I have a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P in for now. I have a new MSI 790FX GD-70. New because I flashed it for the Phenom x6 and it went fine but wouldn't POST ! GRRRRRR nothing to do with gskill just unlucky. But i will put up results with the Flares when they arive any day . I am a very loyal G Skill customer.
                            Last edited by PitterAttack; 07-02-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X