Need help choosing RAM for motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing RAM for motherboards

I'm trying to choose between two ASUS motherboards and approved RAM to be installed in final choice. Would like to have a system with 8GB to 16GB installed (12GB would be ideal choice). Overclocking could be a possibility, but not really my intention. I'm thinking DDR3 1333 modules are best for me.

The operating system will be Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Option 1: ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard (1366 socket type, six slots) coupled with i7-920 processor.
    or
    Option 2: ASUS P7P55D EVO motherboard (1156 socket type, four slots) coupled with i7-860 processor.

This system will be for graphics and video editing, not really intended for gaming. Any knowledgeable help would be great.

Option 1 will outperform especially if you overclock. For graphics, editing, and such intensive usage, everyone uses the X58 platform as it is optimum for that. Simply purchase a DDR3-1600 CL6 or 7 kit and that would be perfect. You can then overclock slightly, and your system will be FAST. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Does F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI or F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL fit your recommendation? Having trouble locating exact match up for ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard.

Comment

Yes, those are exactly the two I would choose from.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for your quick advice.

I looked these up and F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI is a kit of 6 and F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL is a kit of 3. Does G.Skill test these kits for compatibility so that all modules are guaranteed to work together? Also the F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI has better timing doesn't it? One last thing...please define "Hexa-Channel."
          Last edited by DonBurch; 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Yes, each configuration of memory you purchase is tested as so. So a 12GB kit is tested together as a 12GB kit, whereas purchasing 3 seperate 4GB kits are only tested as 4GB and sometimes may not sync together. The PI does have lower timings, but the 4GB modules and reduced memory controller stress (3 sticks), is just as good. Especially for memory intensive programs, the more capacity would be more beneficial than lower latency.

Hexa-channel is simply all 3 channels being fully utilized. 6 memory modules, hence hexa.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Is F3-10666CL9T2-12GBNQ (kit of 6 x 2GB) also compatible with my ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard? It is slightly slower than the previously mentioned F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI (kit of 6 x 2GB), but is also about $50 less on my tightening budget. I'm not not all that interested in overclocking for max benefit.

The heatspreaders on the F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI modules are also quite large. Do these tend to generate more heat than the lower profile F3-10666CL9T2-12GBNQ modules? If so, would these possibly need a cooling fan?

I'm getting close to final decisions for my system build and I appreciate your expert advice.

Comment

The NQ is most popular with basic users simply looking for 12GB. More advanced users that use their computers for editing, rendering, and such, tend to prefer higher performance CL7 memory like the PI. But as you state no overclocking, the NQ may be sufficient.

The PI will generate slightly more heats because of it's performance, but not necessarily from the memory, since it is still low voltage. But it may create slightly more heat/stress on the memory controller (CPU) since it is more performance oriented. No cooling fan is needed.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Is F3-12800CL9T2-12GBNQ (6 x 2GB) also compatible with my ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard? It is DDR3 1600 instead of DDR3 1333, has the same timing and latency and is even $5 less.

Would you recommend it over the F3-10666CL9T2-12GBNQ for my i7-920 setup?

Comment

Oh yea!! Get those instead, not sure what's up with pricing, but definitely DDR3-1600 if it's cheaper than DDR3-1333.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

My order of F3-12800CL9T2-12GBNQ (6 x 2GB) should arrive tomorrow. Before I install it in my ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard with i7-920 processor, I have another question:

Intel says the i7-920 processor uses memory types DDR3 800 - DDR3 1066. Since I wasn't planning to try overclocking right now, and my GSkill modules are DDR3 1600, will they have to be underclocked to be compatible with the processor? I'm assuming the other option is to overclock the processor to match??

Comment

No overclocking, it will just be a setting change. This CPU has a 12X memory multiplier, so you can simply set it to that for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X