Trident F3-16000CL9T - Not perfectly stable at 1824mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident F3-16000CL9T - Not perfectly stable at 1824mhz

My specs include a i7 930 at 4ghz, 6gb of trident ram, and a ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard.

The images below shows my current Speed/Voltages layout.

The problem though is that at 1824mhz, 1.60 dram, 1.350 qpi; My system isn't perfectly stable.
    For example, it will lock up about 30 minutes to an hour in BattleField Bad Company 2. Though haven't had any problems with it in most other games.

From testing around, I found a QPI of 1.350 to be the best so far. Seeing how if I go to a QPI of 1.400, or 1.300, it locks up in less than ten minutes in BfBc2. Some have said to use a QPI of 1.60 - 1.650, but with that my pc fails to POST and have to revert back to default bios settings to get it to do anything.

I've also set my dram voltage to 1.64, but that didn't make a difference at all.

Oh and i've also tried upping my cpu voltage to 1.325 & 1.35, no difference.

So yeah, what may I be doing wrong?

Here's some pics of the bios settings:

Last edited by Nex; 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM.

Try one stick at a time to see if you have a bad module.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, ran a full round of memtest on my sticks. Didn't come back with any errors.
      So i'm going to keep assuming my voltages aren't perfectly set.
      So does anything look slightly off to you?

Comment

Nex,

The key voltage settings for this RAM when trying to get it stable on this board are;

CPU Voltage
        QPI/DRAM Voltage*
        DRAM Bus Voltage

*QPI/DRAM Voltage might well be the most important.

Once you hit 1800Mhz+ with this RAM and the ASUS board you will need at minimum 1.45 - 1.4825 QPI/DRAM Voltage to maintain stability.

I may not have a lot of posts here - but you can check out my validation and "initial impressions" thread on this RAM running on an Asus board over at OCC Forums.

If I were you I'd do the following;

CPU Voltage - set to 1.306 or 1.312 in BIOS (a little higher if you have LLC disabled) There is a significant amount of vdroop on this board with LLC disabled.

QPI/DRAM Voltage - set to 1.4825 and work your way down lower to 1.4500

DRAM Bus Voltage - I started out at 1.64vdimm and that worked fine so I haven't reduced the vdimm since the original installation.

I've also got my CPU PLL voltage set at 1.96v - but that has really been for ghits and siggles and I'm not sure whether that has contributed to my stability.

I'm currently running my kit at 1904Mhz with the above settings and 8-9-8-8-24 3n timings. For some reason my board will not boot if I have CR set at 2n or 1n. However bandwidth, latency etc. aren't impacted whatsover. I've successfully ran this ram up to 2005Mhz with just a bump to the QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.55v.

Again - I can't stress enough - if you are running this RAM on most any version of the Asus P6T D, P6TD Deluxe or P6X58D flavors you WILL need to bump QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.45v or higher once you hit around 1800Mhz.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
        WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
        WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
        Corsair TX950W
        Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Working...
        X