First start Memory not recognized, restart Memory OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First start Memory not recognized, restart Memory OK

Ok so I finally got my ram module back from G.SKill. I definetly had a bad module as now I can boot it from just one piece in any slot and it boots.

But of course you know there still has to be some problems right?

Now I am getting what seems to be a 'cold start' issue now...

I start the pc for the first time getting the ram back. All 3 modules in, boot to BIOS all are registered 6gb. Fine and dandy. Then boot to windows, and says 4/6GB usable. Kind of weird since the BIOS said it saw all 6. Anyways, restarted went to BIOS again, now its saying 4gb. Go to windows, same deal.

Turn it off, reseat all the ram, restart. 6gb in BIOS 6gb in windows. Nice!

The next day do a cold start, BIOS says 4, windows says 4gb. Restart, go to BIOS, says 6, windows says 6. So these past few days I have just been playing the restart game so I can use my 6gb, but ideally I would like to not have to do this and just use my computer like a normal person...

The full specs to help out.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev 2.0 stock bios)
    Intel i7 930 2.8 ghz (21x multiplier)
    G.Skill (3x2gb) 240-pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) -(F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ)
    (stock timings recognized in BIOS: (8-8-8-20-1T) )
    XFX ATi 5770

Things edited in BIOS:

*The 21x multiplier for the cpu
    *Memory timing changed to: (9-9-9-24-2T) since that what it says on the actual memory module.
    *QPI/VTT upped to 1.275V, and upped the mem multiplier to get my true 1333 mem rating.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5295/79997346.jpg

Please help me out here, I would like to not have to deal with this every time I start my pc.

Louis
    Last edited by Lefteris; 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM.

Try updating the BIOS and see if it's better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

updating bios does nothing

today i booted to bios on cold start, same 4/6gb issue. Didnt even boot to windows. Powered off, restarted went back to bios and it recognized the 6gb. Its not even a factor of heat considering the pc ran a total of 30 seconds so I really have no idea what is causing this... I also dont want to have to do this every time I use the computer

Comment

Send the memory in for new replacements and the new set should work better.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X