No announcement yet.

24GB RAM - P6TD Deluxe or GA-X58A-UD7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24GB RAM - P6TD Deluxe or GA-X58A-UD7 ?

Hi folks!

I want to build an i7-920 workstation with 24GB RAM for scientific computing.

There is a 24GB hex kit which is said to be compatible with Asus P6TD Deluxe and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=264

My current favorite is the GA-X58A-UD7 for it seems to have the best electrical properties (voltage regulators, etc.). But the Asus board would be cheaper and has more sophisticated fan control.

My main concern is 24/7 stability. I do not want to overclock.

Which one of these two board would you prefer? Or maybe another one?

Best regards,
    Andi

At this price range it's really just getting what you need as far as features. SATA, USB, PCIE, etc. etc. For $300 range, most motherboards are capable of 24GB no problem, but they all have slightly different features that may be more beneficial to certain people.

The ASUS P6TD is on sale. It doesn't have USB 3.0, so that surely can be a downfall for such a nice system. Instead, I would suggest the ASUS P6T6 WS. "WS" meaning workstation, so obviously already more appropriate for your purpose. This board is great, well made, supports high memory frequency, 3 way SLI, and it also comes with the USB 3.0 add-on card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-358-_-Product

Otherwise, the UD7 motherboard is good too since it has a lot of basic features, but the main thing it does not have is true @ x16 3 way SLI. But if you don't plan to use 3 video cards, then who cares anyway.

Those are the two I would choose from. Hope that helps. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

All I need is stability

The computer is for CPU and memory intense number crunching only, so video card will be a single one with passive cooling.

No video games, no GPU-driven computing. I also don't really need USB3.

At my country, the P6T6 WS is even more expensive than the X58A-UD7, so I'll go for the latter one.

Thanks for your reply & best regards,
      Andi

Comment

Working...
      X