Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ripjaw 2000 mhz set up

Hello,

I have purchased 2 kits of the DDR# triple channel G skill RipJaw 2000 mhz memory (part # F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH) for a total of 12 GB. I have setup the timings as suggested at 9 9 9 27 and dram voltage is at 1.60. My cpu is the i7 980x and I have OC'd it to 4.2 ghz. Cpu voltage is 1.375, fsb is at 200 and core multi is at 21. I have left the QPI voltage at its recommended setting. My motherboard is the Asus Rampage II Extreme with the latest BIOS.

I am able to boot into windows without any issues. If I run prime95, I get a test failure within the first 1 minute on one of the first 3 tests.. I stop the tests and the system is still running (no BSOD). If I lower the clock speed to 1600 mhz for the ram, I am able to run prime95 without any issues.. Would you have any recommendations as to where I would go next to get the ram to run stable in prime95 at 2000 mhz?

Just to recap:

i7 980x cpu OC'd to 4.2 ghz, voltage is at 1.375
    12 gb g skill ddr3 triple channel ram, timings set to 9 9 9 27 voltage at 1.6
    asus rampage II extreme motherboard

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Chad

after testing with different settings all weekend.. I am unable to get this ram kit (12 gb) to run at 2000 mhz.. I currently have the ram set to 1800 mhz with 9 9 9 27 timings and 1.65 v and I am not getting any rounding errors..

settings:

cpu 4.1 ghz (1.42v, multi x23, fsb 180)

qpi 1.4v

ram 1800 mhz 9 9 9 27 1.65v

I have tried setting the ram to its specified settings of 2000 mhz with 9 9 9 27 and 1.6v and using the following:

cpu incrementing in voltage from stock up to 1.45

qpi from stock up to 1.5

all changes still result in a rounding error in prime95 within 10 minutes with the ram @ 2000 mhz..

Comment

I have an image of what my system currently looks like..

as an aside.. I have tried setting the qpi to 1.55 volts, and increasing my fsb to 200 while reducing the multi to 21.. I cannot get the machine to even post..

Comment

Hello?

Mr. G Skill Admin?

Comment

Not all CPUs will be capable of 12GB of DDR3-2000, much higher QPI/DRAM Voltages will be necessary.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Not all cpu's are capable? Why wouldnt there be a disclaimer about this before someone drops 400 dollars on memory? I would also think that the latest and greatest i7 980x should be able to handle 12 gb of ram. Can you elaborate on this please?

Comment

You purchased a 6GB kit, not a 12GB kit. Technically speaking, DDR3-2000 is only capable with 3 modules, but with high voltages, some are able to stabilize 12GB. You are overclocking and forcing the system to operate what it is not made to do. If you ask Intel, even with their latest and greatest, they will tell you you can only operate 12GB at DDR3-1333. It is known that most CPUs are capable of 12GB DDR3-1600, but at DDR3-2000, it is not always possible.

We are already beyond disclaimers by talking about memory beyond DDR3-1333, let alone 2 sets, 12GB of it.

You have already reached DDR3-1800, so all you simply need to do is raise QPI/DRAM Voltage to reach your max memory frequency.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-15-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the information!

That does make sense totally.. I think I am going to leave the system at 1800 mhz since it is running stable with a qpi of 1.45v. I appreciate the help on this!

Comment

That is a good sweet spot for 12GB. Your system should already be plenty fast! =) What you can do to gain a little more performance is lower the timings. At DDR3-1800, you should be able to operate 8-8-8-24, and that will boost performance nicely. Enjoy!

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I definitely will be tweaking the timings! Once again I appreciate all the info! I will be recommending your products to all my future customers!

Comment

Working...
                    X