Can't run Memtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't run Memtest

I am trying to run Memtest from a CD on a GA-P5A-UD7. It runs fine on an older Intel system I have. When I boot from the CD on the new machine it get an initial menu from Memtest that asks to pick one of three versions. The correct answer is 3. No matter which option I choose, it comes back with a message that memtest is ready, but nothing happens. If I try return, just goes to a blank line and does nothing after that. No keyboard input.

I have a pair of Ripjaws DDR3-12800 4 GB DIMMs in the machine. The machine seems to run fine, but I have never checked the RAM. This is a fairly new build and I have just upgraded the RAM. I THINK memtest ran with the previous 2 GB 16000 Ripjaws.

I have sent an email to the Memtest forum, but it does not seem very active. I am hoping someone here will have an idea.

Try a different version.

hcidesign.com

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

That seemed like a good idea, but they want $14 to see if it works. Their free program is a windows app and not suitable for much of anything.

Comment

Why not? If your Windows is stable, there's no problem with running the Windows app memtest.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Mostly because I have no desire to let someone unknown to me to be playing with memory in a live operating system. Possible damage to OS, using internal calls intended to do something else, no real feel for their code quality.

They were also saying it is really intended to just test unused memory. I think they have an option to test "everything" but generate intense disk activities. And they would have to be paging live executing code out of their way.

Overall I do not consider it something I want running on my machine. Had I realized it was not a bootable test, I would never have even looked at it in the first place. I think (my opinion) that the product is a very bad idea.

The version that is bootable is $14. I don't know if it will work any better than other free products. And I simply won't pay that much for a utility, that may not work on my system, and I use once every 10 years. Especially with the other programs available.

But I do appreciate your trying to help.

Oh, I found a bootable program called Mem-Scope. I used it and it worked fine. And free.
          Last edited by alternety; 06-09-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Some additional information. I did not understand what the memtest.org site was saying and I downloaded an old version. I may try with the current version later.

Comment

Working...
            X