Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC'ing Ram to mobo's max

Hello,

I would like to overclock my ram. As it stands I don't really want to go out and buy a massive CPU cooler and OC my cpu, but if the only way to OC the ram is to OC the cpu I may consider it.

Sorry for the noob question but I haven't got much experience with overclocking and I would rather just try my luck here first before I start to fiddle by myself.

Specs:

Phenom II x6 1090T

F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS

GA-890FXA-UD7

The mobo supports up to 1866mhz (OC) and I am currently running the ram dual channel at the stock speed of 1600mhz (or 800 coz its dual channel)

What timings, V's, etc do I have to change to get it to 1866.

FYI My timings atm that cpu-z tell me are:

CL-11
    tRCD-11
    tRP-11
    tRAS-29
    tRC-40
    CR-1T

I've got no idea what the above means but thought I would list anyway.

I figured if the ram is capable of getting to 2200 then I may *** well run it at the mobo's max supported speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

As far as your cpu goes, those 1090's stay cool as hell man, so youd be fine upping her a little bit even with just the stock heatsink. You could probably realistically do 3.8 - 4 tops with stock cooling and not have to worry. 62 degrees is their max i believe.

Now, your bios should have a ram multi. I use an msi, and mine does, but im not sure about yours. So that way, If i want to just overclock the cpu and the northbridge with their respective multipliers, instead of the fsb, then I can also just up the ram multi. However, its a much bigger jump. Stock, mine is 1333, then the next level up on the ram multi is 1600. Its a big jump, but my system is stable there with a little push in voltage to get to cl8 clocks. And thats where you have to decide how much you want out of the ram. If youre afraid of clocking your cpu too high with stock clocks, then take it a couple levels up on the multi, then give it some front side bus to add some to the ram, for a more conservative memory overclock. However, if you want to get that much out of your ram, i would suggest upping your northbridge. I run mine at 2800 with 1630mhz (stock 1333) 8gb cl7 ripjaw. I could probably get away with a little lower nb, but i notice optimal overall performance there. And when you start pushing hte ram freqs higher, be mindful of your clocks as well, because if youre not manually setting those, theyll probably automatically loosen up to accomodate the speed increase. So, if you DO want to tighten those clocks, then you will need to add some dram voltage. I went from 1.5volts 1333mhz cl7 clocks stock, to 1.61 1630 cl8 clocks and im stable. hopefully it helps

Edit: you said in your post that your mobo was up to 1866 on the ram, then you said you wanted to get 2200. Typo? Or you might need some new ram ;-) if you find your ram multi, im willing to bet that 1866 is one level up. let me know
    Last edited by Guitarmageddon88; 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

First, you'll want to manually set the memory timings and voltage. Then set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600 via the 8X 1:4 locked memory multi/ratio.

From here, you will need to overclock the NB Frequency and voltages, then slowly increase the CPU Host Frequency. Once you are done with the memory OC, you can then attempt to OC the CPU slightly via the CPU Ratio. Then simply find the proper CPU Voltage and you're set. This is of course the quick overview, so actually doing all this is not as simple as it may seem.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you very much with your help guys. Much appreciated!

Nah no typo guiter Was just saying that if the ram is made to get to 2200 then it should be no worries running it at the mobo's max speed of 1866.

I will give it my all and get back to you with any info if I am successful!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X