Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i5 750 + P7P55D-E Deluxe + F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS

Hi there!

Feels good to be part of a nice, solid community! Especially remembering the fact that I've also been part of other communities (one of your major competitors), ran into problems with a product and never got any support (and I don't mean adequate support, I mean ANY support ... at all). Anyway, solved my problem on my own back then. But now ... now I'm facing one of those challenges in life that I, for some reason, cannot tackle alone. So ... please, help!

Alright, there it is - I've seen a lot of people commenting on 4GB kits not being completely "recognized" by the mobo as 4GB, but rather shooting down to 2GB usable. I have one such problem too. Like with almost everyone else, I get 2040MB listed during POST (not 2048 - fine by me, I know where the remaining 8MB have gone) and Windows 7 reports "4.00GB (1.99GB usable)". I'm running the 64-bit version, yes.

This is the exact RAM kit that I own (the 4GB version):

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=251

Please, don't ask why I bought memory marked as "Engineered Specifically For Intel Core i7 860/870 CPUs" to use with an i5. I just fancied hitting 2.2GHz DDR3 even with the i5 750. A memory module is a memory module and should work with every DDR3 compliant board/CPU anyway, right?! Fiddling around with my i5, it turns out its x5 mem multiplier is out of business. That's right, no 1333MHz for me ... or if I get them, PC reboots after ~15 minutes of play time.

Now, before you all start on me, I've had the machine for almost 2 months now, I read every possible bit of info on the Internet and did some small-time testing *sarcasm*. Actually I did A LOT of testing, of course. What I figured out is that the board would not setup the memory correctly on its own, like when you start out with a reset BIOS. Also, using MemOK shoots the DIMM voltage up to 1.7V or higher @ 1066 and the PC barely hangs in there, just so you can quickly Del-Del-Del-Del-Del into the BIOS to fix things manually. I figured out that if I set up the Vdimm manually to 1.65V and the IMC voltage to 1.15V (yeah, that amplitude diff margin right there), things work out fine. If I start increasing the BCLK things go bad after the 150-152MHz notch - no POST at all until I go over 166MHz and this is where the problems get better pronunciation. I can go as high as BCLK 220 (core 4.4GHz) and DRAM multi x3 (that is 1320MHz) and that gets me stable but not a lot of bandwidth, you see. And kinda renders my purchase useless, I could have gone with a cheap piece of 1333MHz DDR3 crap off the shelf of any store. But this is not what I'm after. I want my x5 multi working, so I can squeeze the full XMP rage out of this kit. It's what I genuinely bought it for. And I've been trying different settings, varying from mildly low core and IMC voltages to outrageously 1.5-ish volts. Still nothing.

Here's what else I've tried so far (in a somewhat chronological order):

* flashed the latest BIOS right in
    * re-seated the CPU after inspecting all pins, contacts and sh#t - all good
    * re-seated my mem modules, even swapped their bloody places, tried with just one module in every single slot - in fact I can only troll on 3 slots because DIMM_B2 (closest to the CPU) is blocked by my HSF fan (TRUE120 + SilenX Ixtrema 120)
    * read on a message board that ASUS had (supposedly, in a reply e-mail to a complaining customer) admitted to have released some faulty P6T's with defective RAM slots causing that very same problem and possibly s.1156 boards with the same problem have made it onto the market. RMA'd the board with my retailer, had no problem there, got a brand new one the other day but my problem remains (that said I RMA'd a perfectly working mobo).
    * had the RAM modules Memtest'ed on a ASUS Rampage Extreme - fluid operation @ 1333, no signs of damage. I can't get them to work even that high in my system for some reason. More details below.
    * I tried toying with voltages (keeping in mind that amplitude difference margin of 0.5V between IMC and Vdimm), timings, copied entire setups right off the Internet - people reviewing Core i5 and revealing their BIOS setups (especially on the similar to mine ASUS P7P55D), I copied those right in and also tried MAJOR adjustments to see if any of the settings fit - nada. Either no POST, or POST/boot with less memory. And, eventually, BSOD upon loading Windows 7 x64, or after a few minutes of fluid operation.

I discovered a few weird things, please do check the screenshots below.

Here's my BIOS details page, in case you want to make sure what I'm running on. As you can see - BIOS is up to date (I'd say up-to-datest, no newer version so far) and it still detects half my memory. I am running all stock as you see. No excessive dooblydoo with the clock speeds.

Basic setup.

Ai Tweaker - cont'd. Yes, I know I jumped out of the default IMC here, this time I had to. Look at my mem voltage (as per G.Skill's spec). If I run my mem on lower voltages, it gets unstable. True. PLL and PCH - I just wanted to make sure I've nailed those tight so they don't go anywhere being a show-stopper. Strange thing with the IMC voltage - sometimes it POST's and boots up with ~1.25V applied, sometimes it won't come up even at 1.4V or above. Had it at 1.35 here and it worked ... under 10 minutes.

Here's the most interesting part. Please, do pay attention to my tRTL on channel A. It's like there's no module in there.

Funny stuff. Because I'm only limited to 4 pics, I will directly link you to the 5th one. A shot from Everest showing that 2 modules are detected (look at the very top where two modules are selectable) but only 1 is reported here (see below the middle of the window where it only says DRAM Slot #1 under Memory Slots).

I've been assembling hardware half my life. It's been my passion, my vent for everyday stress, my hobby, been my job for quite some time but I have NEVER stumbled upon one such ... flat out ... STUPID problem in my life/hobby/career. Guys, am I looking at a defective i5 (more like its Uncore) and should I bin it, then get an i7 and be done with it or do you have a better suggestion? 'Cause I'm about to burn out already. I mean I know that logic circuitry has a certain max payload spec, yeah. You can't wire up a puny little switching transistor to a high input impedance load and expect the ridiculous transie to drive the load as hard as 4 serious transistors would, for example. And if the driver is too weak for the payload, it would start overheating in time, thus start skewing signals and pretty soon the normal data-bus talk becomes garble. So, is it also possible that Core i5 has a more "gentle" IMC and cannot handle big guys like the 4GBPIS, whereas i7 features somewhat more robust MC circuitry? Or am I going too deep in conspiracy theory and it's time for me to go to bed already?

Trying to take this all as a big joke (cuz it's what it is), lightheartedly and all. But the truth is that I want to single-handedly kill (slowly and painfully) whoever was responsible for this ridiculous incompatibility (even if it's myself I'm talking about), thus ripping me off a truckload of money for the new PC and 5 meters of nerves.

Please forum, help me.

Thanks all and greetings from rainy Bulgaria. Hope it gets sunny soon so I could hang out with the gang and sink my grief in beer.

Be good,
    Kai

EDIT: Oh, yeah, this memory is listed by G.Skill as compatible with ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe. I also found that very same RAM kit certified by ASUS in my board's manual. So I'm thinking - it's either the RAM, or the IMC. Might also be crappy BIOS by ASUS (not a physical defect, that is, just lousy programming)?
    Last edited by Rammkopf; 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM.

UPDATE: I just put in a 4GB set of OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Fatal1ty and they worked! Memory multiplier set to x4 and they ran at 1600MHz (with BCLK @ 200MHz) like a charm.

So what does that tell me? Do I return the Pi's now, hoping that I will get this kit replaced with one that will actually work? Mind you that I did not change anything in my BIOS in terms of voltages, just set the BCLK from 220 to 200 and set the new timings for the OCZ kit. So it is really something weird with the RAM, as it would seem.

Comment

I could not get my i5 750 to run at 220 BCLK, like hitting the FSB wall on some previous CPUs
      I would try lower and set the memory to the timings for that RAM. 7-10-10-28-2N
      and try 200 BCLK and work up once you have stability.

Nice set of RAM, wish I had found that stuff when I was looking for some.

Comment

^ Thank you, my friend, but I found out something interesting, yet rather disturbing - anything that sets the RAM above 1333MHz (regardless of timings, while being at 1.65V Vdimm) makes the machine BSOD or I face that same problem with where-in-the-hell-is-half-my-memory-size. That said, problem occurs even at stock BCLK and mem multi x5.

Something with the RAM, I'm almost positive. Spoke with the guy that imports G.Skill products in our country, he offered to help out. Will keep you guys posted. That memory looks awesome on paper, but so far it has proven to be worse than cheap-sh#t value RAM off the Sunday market shelves. Oh, yeah, at least it looks sturdy and impressive. But sheer looks don't give me the performance I paid for. Now, ain't that some?!

Comment

I guess there are a few things that need to be set correctly to get that RAM to work properly. I wouldn't worry yourself too much. You will get the support here, and you will get it working no doubt.
          A few things you could check. one the Bios. Is it up to date?
          Some times that can help.
          http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Don't update the Bios from Windows, and don't update it if your system is not stable( ieverclocked or RAM issues. Can use one stick of RAM to flash if needed)

The other thing is QPI frequency. inplace of Auto setting choose the lowest setting/frequency of the 2 options. That can give boot up issues if set wrong.

Also check this thread on the "showing 2GB not 4GB.

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5136

Good luck.

Comment

Glad you got it all set!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your smoking hot RAM!

Comment

Hey Coldberg, what's up?

About the BIOS, as I said in my first post - it is up to date, yes. Also, please check out the first screenshot to make sure.

I never flash BIOS'es from inside Windows, I use one of my USB sticks or a diskette to boot into pure DOS and flash from there, or (with newer ASUS mobo's) I use EZ Flash inside the BIOS itself.

Also, QPI has no influence on how my machine behaves. I tried all 3 settings for QPI (AUTO, manual lower multi and manual higher multi) and there has been no difference in behavior at all.

That thread about "2GB instead of 4GB" was the first thing I ever read on the forum, it is what got me to sign up for the forums and it was exactly the answer I needed but never received (so far). Spent all day following the links in that thread, also following the links in those links, etc. Looking at the forum, though, there seems to be a lot of people coming back with the same issue. Gets cloudy thought in my head regarding the quality of G.Skill's products these past two years. Bad news is that it would not be just G.Skill but everybody else as well. You dish out a truckload of cash on something that is supposed to run like butter and end up with a pile of horse...stuff.

@broken: I did not get it all set, unfortunately. It was another RAM kit that I got to work at more than 1333MHz which leans me towards the idea that my G.Skill kit is defective. It feels as though I am brutally overclocking 1066MHz RAM all the way up to 1333! You can imagine the strain upon the units then, so that gives you an overall picture of the behavior the machine exhibits. Being rated at 2200MHz, this mem kit should laugh at those 1333, not stutter like hell and fall apart.

Comment

UPDATE: I just realized that ASUS have relesed a new BIOS like 4 days ago. I downloaded it and flashed it in - problem stays. The only difference is that now I get 2047MB instead of only 2040. Ya-a-a-ay! Oh, it also counts up to 4095MB @ 1066 instead of the old 4088MB.

Comment

DRAM Voltage and IMC Voltage may not be set properly. DRAM Voltage at 1.65V is much too high for DDR3-1333 and under, it should only need 1.50V.

Try enabling the XMP profile, tune the IMC Voltage, and see if you can stabilize it that way.

If you continue to have problems, simply send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

^ Thank you for the advice, but I do not believe you carefully read the title and the story (don't blame you, though, with all the complaints you have to attend to). This memory kit is not 1333, it is 2200 and its default settings are 7-10-10-28-2N @ 1.65V. Also, XMP does not solve anything for me. Tried it at least 7 times and still nothing. But yes, I have also tried IMC voltage @ 1.10V and Vdimm @ 1.50V and I get the same results. Increasing IMC voltage here in steps of 0.5V until it reaches 1.45V does not help either. Sorry. I know the guy who imports your products for my country and I asked him to personally test my RAM kit on my setup. I'm sending my rig to his office and he will replace the RAM kit if found to be faulty. He's got access to a lot of spare parts to use for troubleshooting, being actively in the business and all. And I do not have the same luxury anymore, I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm good thanks. Sorry to hear your RAM is still not behaving.

It's good you got a someone to check it out and exchange it if it is defective though.

Also I think you will find with any brand of any hardware, that the people who are on their forums posting, are ones that have problems.
                      I mean if it was working without issue you wouldn't be here lol, and me either.
                      You can check any brands forums, its the same all over.

Anyway , hope it all works out for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks man, I hope I do get to the bottom of this.

Yes, you are absolutely right that people come to the message boards to post complaints. And tech advisors get tired of seeing the same problems come over and over again. I should know better 'cause my daily job is IT support and administration. lol

My point was that lots of people have the same problem as mine. And on different mobos. Different platforms even, if you wish. With G.Skill memory modules. If you google up my problem, you only see such complaints from people with RAM manufactured by either G.Skill or ... another manufacturer, with a kinda piratey name on it ... y-you know. I didn't see any other reports.

Anyway, I want to wait until the final test results come out. So far it looks like the memory is busted. But I'm not saying that it can't be me either. Although I keep believing that it shouldn't be that much of a hassle to run a system normally. Why did things suddenly get so complicated with DDR3? I've had no trouble before (Rampage Formula, E8400, had many DDR2 kits by Oh-See-Zed and that piratey manufacturer). Still, I keep having this nasty thought in the back of my head that the problem is also facilitated by poorly coded BIOS from ASUS, not just the memory modules. We'll see, I will post the final results here when they come up.

Dear G.Skill techs,

Maybe you should test that rig too. Again, specs are as follows:

MB - ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe
                        CPU - intel Core i5-750
                        RAM - F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS

You know ... just to be on the safe side.

Thank you all for the responses, I really do appreciate your help.

Catch you all later. Until then, keep being nice and stay out of trouble.

Regards,
                        Kai

Comment

Well then your BIOS pictures above should not be showing DRAM Frequency set to DDR3-1333 with 1.65V to DRAM Voltage.

We have tested this rig many times, so has ASUS, this memory package should have no problems at all with that motherboard. It is the fact that you are using the i5 750 CPU, it is not easy to reach this memory frequency and overclock with that CPU. In fact, most will not even be capable. You need an i7 860 to reach DDR3-2200 with ease.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by Rammkopf View Post
                          ^ Thank you for the advice, but I do not believe you carefully read the title and the story (don't blame you, though, with all the complaints you have to attend to). This memory kit is not 1333, it is 2200 and its default settings are 7-10-10-28-2N @ 1.65V. Also, XMP does not solve anything for me. Tried it at least 7 times and still nothing. But yes, I have also tried IMC voltage @ 1.10V and Vdimm @ 1.50V and I get the same results. Increasing IMC voltage here in steps of 0.5V until it reaches 1.45V does not help either. Sorry. I know the guy who imports your products for my country and I asked him to personally test my RAM kit on my setup. I'm sending my rig to his office and he will replace the RAM kit if found to be faulty. He's got access to a lot of spare parts to use for troubleshooting, being actively in the business and all. And I do not have the same luxury anymore, I'm afraid.

Thanks!
                          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

^Hey man,

Yes, you do have the right to say that. I agree with you that the screenshot is sort of misleading at first sight. Like I said above, though, it is to show you that I am trying to run my mem @ 1333 and it requires 1.65V to actually start up the machine to a useful state, even at that speed.

In case you got lost in all the posts, here's a short sum-up:

---------------------------|
                            BCLK [133]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-1333]
                            IMC [1.10V]
                            Vdimm [1.50V]
                            Timings @ JEDEC's spec

Not starting up
                            or
                            Starts up and self-reset

and:

BCLK [133] or [220]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-1333]
                            IMC [1.15V~1.35V]
                            Vdimm [1.65]
                            Timings @ JEDEC's spec

Gets things working,
                            application stability issues.
                            Also, only 2047MB are
                            reported.

But then:

BCLK [200]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-1600]
                            IMC [1.25V~1.45V]
                            Vdimm [1.65V]
                            Timings @ JEDEC's spec

Not starting up or
                            starting with 2GB RAM
                            detected.
                            Then BSOD @ boot

while

BCLK [220]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-2200]
                            IMC [1.25V~1.45]
                            Vdimm [1.65V]
                            Timings @ X.M.P.

Starts up with 2GB RAM
                            reported. Works with
                            keyboard glitches (?!?) but hey,
                            it works. With the CPU
                            being able to actually
                            play games at 4,4GHz!

Most stable at

BCLK [133]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-1066]
                            IMC [1.15V]
                            Vdimm [1.50V or 1.65V]
                            Timings @ JEDEC's spec

Full 4GB reported,
                            seems OK. Just a few
                            occasional crashes but
                            probably due to my
                            experimentation with
                            clock skews at first.
                            No real problems there,
                            as I played DiRT2 for
                            hours with this setup.

Lastly

BCLK [133]
                            DRAM @ [DDR3-800]
                            IMC [1.10V]
                            Vdimm [1.50V]
                            Timings @ JEDEC's spec

Full 4GB reported,
                            works like butter.
                            But who needs an i5
                            with DRAM @ 800?!

I've also tried BCLK settings in between, like setting it to 150, 160, 166, 175 - nothing can get this RAM kit to report its full size and be stable after the 1333rd notch up the MHz scale.

I'd like to throw in a small reminder here:

I was able to run this very MB+CPU with an OCZ 4GB Fatal1ty 1600 kit I borrowed from a buddy at 1600MHz without a hitch! And yes, it does come up as 4GB @ 1600 with its X.M.P. timings. And, under the same conditions (1600MHz and timings at JEDEC or X.M.P. - tried both), the Pi does not.

So, having said the above, if the memory + an i7 proves to be fine and stable at said parameters but still does not work in tandem with the i5 for some reason (even at low clocks), I will get an i7-860 and keep the i5 for a more budget oriented build. Will also share that here with you guys, so other fools like me would know with certainty that your memory does not like Core i5. Nothing wrong with that, just helps planning future rigs better.

Also:
                            Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            We have tested this rig many times, so has ASUS, this memory package should have no problems at all with that motherboard. It is the fact that you are using the i5 750 CPU, it is not easy to reach this memory frequency and overclock with that CPU. In fact, most will not even be capable. You need an i7 860 to reach DDR3-2200 with ease.
                            Saying "this rig", I mean MB+RAM+CPU, not just MB+RAM. Your statement above doesn't make it clear whether you have tested the RAM with an i5 and you know with certainty that my problems are caused by the processor, or you're just guesstimating my fat chances with a 750. lol Whatever it is, I should at least be capable of running them @ 1600 with no issues, right?

You tried to help me, so I truly thank you for all the efforts!

Peace out

Comment

Go ahead and send the memory in for new replacements. You may simply have a bad set if you are having issues with DDR3-1600, 1333, and such.

We do test with all CPUs, which is how we understand the slight differences between each CPU, even of the same exact model.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X