Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gskill Ripjaw 1600s and Asus MIIIF. Only showing 4GB of 8GB above 199Bclk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gskill Ripjaw 1600s and Asus MIIIF. Only showing 4GB of 8GB above 199Bclk.

I have been having an issue since I bought this board. I am currently RMAing my Asus Maximus III Formula Motherboard, but I just want people to be aware of this problem as it might be an incompatibility issue with the Ripjaw G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL and Asus Boards in general.

I have looked at the sticky in regards to voltage settings and stress to the motherboard with an aftermarket heatsink.

I have inspected the CPU socket, everything is fine.

I have reseated my Heatsink numerous times, no change.

I have used every combination of voltages from 1.5-1.66V DRAM and 1.25-1.45Vtt/IMC and Vcore 1.2-1.55V.

Ok, so here is the issue:

My board properly displays 8GB of Ram regardless of the voltages at any Bclk 199 or below. As soon as I try to go above 199, I only show 4GB.

All of the Dimms show up in CPUz as well as Everest or any other hardware monitor, but Core temp/Windows/Everest only display 4GB Total being used.

I see countless issues across the net concerning these and I am also concerned that my 1600s are showing up as 1333 in Everest.

If a Gskill Rep. could contact me I would appreciate it, because I am not looking forward to Asus charging me back for a $250 dollar motherboard because of funky RAM.

I am using a i7 860
    Last edited by Brutal-Force; 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM.

No reply? I have tried all available configurations and could use some help.

Comment

Sorry, we do not work all holidays.

As far as capacity cutting out, I would suggest replacing the memory to see if that solves the problem. What BIOS version do you have? Make sure it is the latest.

Are you looking in the memory section where it states DDR3-1333 (9-9-9-24)? You may be looking at the SPD, maximum default section, which is why it shows DDR3-1333. This is the same reason CPU-z reads PC3-10700 as max bandwidth, but if you look for XMP/EPP info, you will see the rated specifications.

I use this motherboard all the time with the i7 860, no problems at all. In fact, I love it.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes I am using the newest bios, I have tried and have this problem with all bios revisions.

I ran Memtest86 for an hour. No errors. I suspect it may be an issue with my motherboard. I have been having various weird issues, but can't pin it to one thing. I have been having problem with my SLI configuration where a card random gets the nvdllsys errors, and it could even been a power supply issue (but I doubt it as I have a 650TX Corsair which apparently is very reliable.) I have a new Asus board that should be here in a couple of days, and I have already RMA'ed both video cards. If the Motherboard doesn't fix it, then I guess I will RMA the RAM and as a last resort I will RMA the PSU.

Its just frustrating not knowing the issue and after replacing so many parts and not having any luck. This is also my second i7 860.

Comment

Building a system can be frustrating. Are you sure the PSU is sufficient? 650W may be low if you are running SLI and other high wattage hardware.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well thats kind of what I was thinking too, but after using multiple Wattage calculators, and speaking with multiple Overclocking induviduals that have spent many years doing this, they say that while I could use more for a little more headroom, that they calculate my system to be at around 600 Watts. Less while running idle. My problems/crashing happens while my system is idle or very minimal load and even with stock settings. My PSU is a quality PSU, and even when I was experiencing the GPU problems I checked the Power inputs with a Fluke DMM and had 12V to each connector. I know there could still be an issue with amperage/wattage, but since the only way to test that theory is to spend another $150-200 dollars on a quality PSU, I need to exhaust all other methods first.

Comment

Yep, I agree, just throwing ideas out there to hopefully achieve a light bulb. Keep us posted on the results, hopefully we can figure this out.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, I just got done installing my replacement Asus Board, it was a X-ship, so don't think I got the same board back. I installed the 8GB into my new board, and it will only read 4GB of RAM. It shows all 8GB in CPUz, but no matter the voltages, or the Bclk now, it will only show 4GB, I have tried removing two sticks at a time and swapping the configuration, but no go. It will only read 4 GB of RAM while installed.

No I am bummed out. The good news is.... it boots sooo much faster. Its like with the other board and this RAM that it was looking for something it couldn't find. My boot time (through bios screens) went from like 35 seconds to like 15 seconds.

I think there is something wrong with this RAM. What do I do now?

Comment

Send them in for new replacements, request to have them tested, and you should get them back shortly and be ready to rock.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I don't really understand. You want me to send them in to check them out? Or RMA them?

At this point I am so frustrated you can't imagine. I just bought a Corsair TX850 for $149.00
                    and I am not looking forward to spending anymore money.

Every time I call a tech support, whether its Asus, Corsair, BFG everyone suggests one of two things. Check the memory and check the power supply. Well.... put a check next to the power supply now.

I have changed the Motherboard, the Processor, Two Video Cards, and the Power Supply. I am really depressed now. I don't look forward to sending in my RAM and waiting another 2 weeks before I can use my computer. I have owned the computer for 2 or 3 months and have only got to use it two or three weeks during that time.

Please say something encouraging because at this point I want to throw it out the window.

Comment

They want you to RMA the old RAM to get new ones but request to have the new RAM tested before they ship it to you. I just RMA'd mine and it took about a week and a half (YMMV). However, I did not ask to have them test the new RAM and it looks like they sent me a new unopened box.

The only "good" news I can convey to you is my new RAM appears to work perfectly so hopefully you'll have the same luck!

Comment

Send them in for new replacements. If you request to have them tested, the new set will be guaranteed to work, so if you still have problems, it must lie elsewhere.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X