• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ+Asus M4A79XTD Evo BSOD

I'm guessing this is an RMA but here goes nothing

I have the following system built in September 2009

Asus M4A79XTD Evo
    F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ Ram
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
    ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

At first I was running the following config in the BIOS:

DRAM Frequency - 1600
    DRAM Voltage - 1.50V

DRAM Command Rate - 2

tCL - 9
    tRCD - 9
    tRP - 9
    tRAS - 24

This worked with occasional BSOD (never caught what they said, the computer just rebooted) until I updated past BIOS version 0602. After this Windows would freeze almost instantly until I lowered my Frequency to 1333 (I've tried voltages from 1.5-1.6 as well). Now I'm back to the occasional BSOD, which I was able to catch the other day and it said "cache_manager" so I checked the memory using Memtest86+. At first I just ran one pass and all was ok but then I got another BSOD so I figured I'd run it all night. On the 6th pass it found 1 error (didn't fully understand the results but it did find the one error). My plan is now to pull one of the sticks and run Memtest86+ again overnight and hopefully I'll find the one with the error.

Is my process correct so far and is there anything else I can do. Also, assuming I find the bad stick and replace it will I be able to go back to 1600 with this computer (I've been reading some issues with this Mobo/Ram combo?). Thanks for your help!!

Edit: I don't know if I have the "cold boot" issue with this setup as this is an HTPC and never gets shut off. It does go to sleep and I have had a few issues getting it to resume from sleep but I thought it was just Windows. Maybe I should just RMA both sticks?

Edit 2: I do have the C2 revision of the 955 BE Phenom II... Is this a case where I should be down at 1066 and if so how tight can I make my timings? I've already requested an RMA but if you think I should try this first I can.
    Last edited by Aveamantium; 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM. Reason: Additional Info

The new set should be fine. You may need to tweak CPU settings a little to fully support DDR3-1600, but if you want to avoid that, simply set the memory to DDR3-1333 with 8-8-8-24 timings.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

So does AMD Errata 379 apply to me (running DDR3 at 1600)? Do you think I should still RMA?? Man I'm confused!

Edit: I just looked at my manual and since the Blue Slots are listed as A2 and B2 (single dual-channel operation) and since those are the ones I'm using (not using 4 sticks of RAM) I'm assuming that this doesn't apply to me and I should go ahead and RMA.

AMD Errata 379 clarified-

AMD found itself in a tricky situation with its launch schedule for the DDR3-supportive AM3 socket platform: the revision guide document for 10h family of processors disclosed a rather serious erratum with the processors, with the company not recommending the use of more than two DDR3-1333 memory modules in all, or more than one module per memory channel, stating unreliable operation as consequence (more here). We rose doubts on a certain statement in the document circling around what we saw as a potential solution to the problem, and hence sought the company's comment.

AMD replied to us with a set of things, not necessarily interrelated, though in some way connected to the erratum, and the company's approach towards the DDR3 memory standard:

* AMD confirms the issue as stated by the revision guide document, and is indeed working on a solution. The issue does not affect, in any way, using one DDR3-1333 memory module per channel
      * The company has already specified the safest workaround for the issue: specifying the memory modules to run at the speeds of PC3-8500, 533 MHz (DDR3-1066). One can refer to hardware literature on how to do that
      * AMD has given guidance to motherboard vendors on this issue. Some motherboards could rectify the issue by themselves, by operating the memory modules at PC3-8500 specifications. The incentive of tightening DRAM timings stays
      * Good news for overclockers: You will be able to override the memory frequency control by motherboards, and can attempt to tweak frequencies at will. AMD product warranties, as always, don't cover damages caused by overclocking, even when overclocking is enabled via AMD Software
      * Better news: Indications are that AMD is doing a lot more than creating a workaround for this issue, it may be devising a new feature altogether that, in the end, upholds the company's initiative to be enthusiast-friendly. Furthermore, AMD iterates that it is its intention to provide higher DDR3 frequencies as DDR3 becomes more prevalent
      Last edited by Aveamantium; 05-21-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, that does apply to you and is the reason you are having problems at DDR3-1600. Still follow through with the RMA, as you may still have defective modules. The modules can be installed in the same colored slots.

If you want to put the CPU out of question, simply set to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sounds good, I'll RMA... Been running at 9-9-9-24 1T at 1333 and still experiencing the random BSODs as well as the error in MemTest86+ so it does sound like bad sticks.

Thanks!!

Comment

Interesting..

Nice bit of information!

with the company not recommending the use of more than two DDR3-1333 memory modules in all, or more than one module per memory channel, stating unreliable operation as consequence

So, is AMD saying that running two modules in the same channel, at higher than DDR3-1066, produces unreliable stability? Does that mean we're all stuck running at DDR3 1066 if we want to be in dual channel mode? I understand many people probably are able to run them at DDR3 1333 just fine, but is this the highest speed guaranteed to run stable by AMD?
            I had no idea that was the case. I thought you could run all four modules @ DDR-1333 reliably by default? Am I reading that all wrong?
            If not, that could account for some of the issues people are having. I don't think most people ,who buy 2 modules of DDR3- 1600, see running them at DDR3-1066 as an option, and in separate channels, nonetheless.
            AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
            MSI 790FX-GD70
            G. Skill 2X 2GB 1600Mhz # ends 4GBNQ
            Nvidia GTX 260
            Corsair H50 Water Cooling
            Corsair 750W PSU

Comment

Well the way I read this, and I could be off base, is if you are only running two sticks of ram (say in Channel A1 and B1 or A2 and B2) then this wouldn't apply since the explanation says "The issue does not affect, in any way, using one DDR3-1333 memory module per channel". However this would mean that it would affect you if you had 4 sticks of ram running two sticks in Channel A (A1 and A2) and two sticks in Channel B (B1 and B2).

Also, this errata only applies to certain AMD chips, mine for example which is a Phenom II x4 955 BE C2 revision. I guess the C3's are ok...

Comment

Ok, maybe you can set me straight here... I purchased dual channel memmory (2 sticks, 2GB each), I installed it in DIMM slot A2 and B2 (both blue slots). So wouldn't I I be running in dual channel mode and wouldn't I still be statisifying the statement that "The issue does not affect, in any way, using one DDR3-1333 memory module per channel" since I have one in Channel A and one in Channel B?? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject!

Thanks again!
                Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM. Reason: misread

Comment

Sorry misread your statement, yes, having one DIMM in A2 and one DIMM in B2 satisfies the one DIMM per channel limitation if you are using DDR3-1333.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks GSKILL Tech for your help!! Hope the replacement RAM allows me to run at 1600 (or even 1333) without the BSODs. Wife doesn't care for it much when the computer reboots while it is recording one of here shows!

Comment

Ok, got the new RAM and so far so good. Question about the voltages though... I've set the BIOS to the following with everything else set to Auto:
                      DRAM Frequency - 1600
                      DRAM Voltage - 1.50V

DRAM Command Rate - 2

tCL - 9
                      tRCD - 9
                      tRP - 9
                      tRAS - 24
                      What I noticed in AMD OverDrive is the "Target" NB VID is set to 1.375 and the "Current" NB VID fluctuates between this value and 1.100 depending on what I'm doing. Now if I set the DRAM Frequency to Auto (Defaults to 1333) the "Target" NB VID gets set to 1.1000 and the "Current" NB VID stays at 1.1000. Not sure if allowing the NB VID to run up to 1.375 is ok or should I lower to 1333 and tighten up my timings? Seems to be stable in either case.

By the way my other Voltages in AMD OverDrive are as follows:
                      CPU VID = fluctuates between 0.975 and 1.350 (Target set to 1.350)
                      CPU Extra-OV = 0.0
                      VDDNB Extra-OV = 0.0
                      DDR Voltage = 1.5
                      NB Voltage = 1.1
                      HT Voltage = 1.2
                      SB Voltage = 1.35

Thanks!

Comment

Follow up to my previous post... Opinions wanted!
                        Better to run at DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2T (runs hotter based on my previous post of NB VID) or DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 2T (runs a little cooler) and if I run at DDR3-1333 do these timings seem to be the most ideal (not sure which timings to tighten CL, tRAS, etc.?).

Thanks!!

Edit: Decided to take it easy on the CPU (since it is primarily my Media Center PC, and a part time gamer). Running at DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 1T =)
                        Last edited by Aveamantium; 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

It is basically up to you. All CPUs now are designed for DDR3-1333, so they have no problems with that. Once you jump to DDR3-1600, it will place slightly more stress and heat to the CPU (memory controller) so more NB VID is needed to stabilize the memory frequency.

The CPU can easily handle DDR3-1600, but if you can't tell a difference anyway, DDR3-1333 is the best for 247 HTPC.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Was running the new Ram at DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 1T and had a BSOD. I changed the timings to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 2T and ran the memory tester all night w/o errors. Just curious which timing setting probably "fixed" the instability the tRAS of 24 or the Command Rate of 2T?

Thanks!

Comment

Try it out. My guess would be tRAS 24.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X