• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold boot: what do?

Model of the motherboard: asus P6T se
    Model of the memory: G.skill 3*2go ddr3 pc-12800 F3-12800CL8T-6GBPI
    Model of the CPU: intel i7 920

Hello,

it seems like I have a cold boot problem with my g.skill memory and I'm wondering what I am supposed to do?

Go back to the shop where I bought it? Will he give me a refund, another memory g.skill set or he will send them back to you and I'll be waiting for you to send me another set? - The last choice would suck anyway..

I would also know which g.skill set has that cold boot problem just to be sure to not buy another wrong set.

thank you,
    have a nice day
    Last edited by mabite; 05-09-2010, 08:06 AM.

If the rest of your system checks out, see about RMA

It seems that ASUS+G.Skill has resulted in many such errors like this. It's not necessarily anyone's fault from what I know, just an issue with DDR3, and perhaps the motherboard. Cold boot issues are caused by many things, but most likely a driver conflict or bad RAM. If you are within the 30-day return policy of where you bought the RAM (ie Newegg) go ahead and RMA through them, as they will pay the return shipping (varies with where you bought it, you should check). If your return/refund period is up, go ahead and RMA through G.Skill for a replacement. Shipping is only about $5 for a USPS small box. If you can get a refund, you could look into that, but from my experience, G.Skill tech support is pretty good. I am having the cold boot issue where the OS won't load, and I have been getting IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL crashes. G.Skill advised me to go ahead and RMA, and I'm working on that right now. Hope you get your problems fixed.
    AMD Phenom II 955 BE, ATI 5770, 4 GB G.Skill 1333MHz Ripjaws, 640GB 7,200 RPM HDD, Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3, Windows 7 64

Comment

Ditto what he said! :P If you just return it to your retailer, you run the risk of getting more bad RAM. This happened to me... Your best bet is to just send it back to G. Skill and have them test your replacement RAM before they ship it back to you.
      AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
      MSI 790FX-GD70
      G. Skill 2X 2GB 1600Mhz # ends 4GBNQ
      Nvidia GTX 260
      Corsair H50 Water Cooling
      Corsair 750W PSU

Comment

I bought it months ago (in september)... -_-

I can't wait for g.skill to send me back another set because I need my computer for working, it's really important.

Do you guys think the shore will give me another memory set or I will have to wait?? Seriously if I have to wait this is gonna be the last time I bought g.skill..

Comment

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5062

You could try the steps I've posted on the thread above to see if it's just a single stick causing the problem. If all three sticks are not bad, you could just run the good stick(s) and RMA the bad. It might take you a couple days to pinpoint which stick is bad if you have the cold boot issue, since you'll have to test all three sticks separately and wait 6-7 hrs for the system to be cold between each stick you test. I know that sounds tedious, but if you have to have your PC up and running, this might be your best bet.
          I doubt the store would exchange them if it's been months, but it depends on their return policy. You still run the risk of getting another bad set, and since alot of people seem to have this issue, it would be a risk I wouldn't want to take.
          The problem seems to be with DDR3 memory in general. I've read that other companies are having the problem. Most of what I'm reading IS G. Skill memory, so it would be nice to hear from G. Skill as to what's causing this problem.
          Last edited by Grimmett; 05-09-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: grammar
          AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
          MSI 790FX-GD70
          G. Skill 2X 2GB 1600Mhz # ends 4GBNQ
          Nvidia GTX 260
          Corsair H50 Water Cooling
          Corsair 750W PSU

Comment

It is possible to return only one stick, as Grimmet stated. However, with this type of problem, I haven't been able to determine what stick is bad, and I think this is true for almost all cases. I'm just going to RMA the whole set...
            You should definetely contact Shore and see if you can return the RAM. Otherwise, if you really have to use your computer, the only other option is to just buy a GB or so of 240-pin value RAM to use in the meantime, which can be as cheap as ~$25. Sorry about your trouble man.
            AMD Phenom II 955 BE, ATI 5770, 4 GB G.Skill 1333MHz Ripjaws, 640GB 7,200 RPM HDD, Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3, Windows 7 64

Comment

Working...
            X